Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Quincy Looper Videos..........WITH SOUND!!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Look at all the spectators including the kids playing around on the trunk of the car in the foreground. That's the way it was back then. They were watching a spectacular showing of boats, but it seems like they were used to it. Now they'ed give their eye teeth for a video with sound to see that run again....and I'll bet the grown up kids would be first in line on the beach.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Look at all the spectators including the kids playing around on the trunk of the car in the foreground. That's the way it was back then. They were watching a spectacular showing of boats, but it seems like they were used to it. Now they'ed give their eye teeth for a video with sound to see that run again....and I'll bet the grown up kids would be first in line on the beach.
    Video with sound was rare at that time. It is still interesting to see old photos pop up. thanks to Hydroracer for doing that. I do not recall that location.
    I will be at Roar & Soar in Polk city Fl the 13 &14 of Nov. Plan to run both a Looper and a deflector.
    With luck, maybe I can make it run good this time. Once or twice a year makes it tough.

RogerH

Default R. Austin's Quincys at Roar & Soar

I can't thank you enough for bringing your fantastic trailer load of liquid noise to Roar & Soar. So glad we had good weather and water conditions so you could run them both days. Great noise!!!!!!! Kermit Weeks was standing by me on Sunday when you went out. I explained a bit about the Quincy motors to him. He said he wondered what that "noise" was from. He could hear it from the hanger area on the other side of the property on Saturday. Good show!
    Roger - Miss Windy H-909
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

absolutely and unbelievably sexy...

Want, want, want....

Post Thanks / Like

Was just going to post my video here. I see Jeff beat me too it.

Conrad

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That soud still brings out chills ! Yikes !

John B.

Post Thanks / Like

What's not to like about the sound of a six-looper?

What's not to like about Dick Austin?

What's not to like about Bruce Summers/

I'm proud to call both of them "Friend"

I had a CD of Bruce Summers, Wayne Walgrave, and Dean Wilson Sr. all 3 racing F-Hydro at the same time. Walgrave won, but who cares?

You just heard one run, Imagine what 3 sounded like on a CD. Better still; if you've never been to a major race and heard even more "live and in person", you can't imagine what you missed.

I talked to Rich Fuschlin and Dick Austin at Depue. They both were advocating a vintage class of Runabouts and Hydros with nothing but 6-banger Mercs and Loopers.

From a spectator point of view, it makes more sense to me than Speeditwins & PR's!!

BTW: My CD no longer works. Bummer!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go Gene. A little footage or bites from Hillsdale. on the 7th. You will have to excuse the camera man, the noise scared him so bad that he lost his footing on the first lap. The engine sounded to good to edit out. It was the first run with Mikuni carbs. Set rich so was a little slow to clean out and a short straight. Was starting to get legs when I had to shut down. Blew a head gasket. It felt like something going so I brought in. Next try out it was lame. Never quits feeling good.

Post Thanks / Like

Dick,

Thanks for posting this. I think my daughter Emily can relate to the cameraman's reaction to the SOUND.

Emily was born after I left Quincy Welding. She had never been to an "Alky" race until she was 18 although she had been to a number of MOD and tunnel boat races.

Her first encounter with an Alky burner was Bruce Summers' 6-Looper and she was perhaps 6 feet away from it. We were talking to Bruce on a Sunday morning at DePue.

As anyone who has been to DePue knows, the race course is 2 blocks from the heart of town. No testing is permitted until after ALL church services have concluded.

As soon as the black flag was lifted, Bruce fired that mutha up. Emily's eyes got as big as silver dollars and I noticed her sniffing the the air. She looked at me with a puzzeled expression after Bruce shut the motor down.

You're right "Baby Girl", that ain't gasoline!

Imagine what it must have been like for your first sounds and smells of an alcohol burning PRO racing engine to have been a
    6-Looper!

At the end of the day, Emily wanted to know when we could go again.

BTW: What's with this electric start stuff?

Are young bucks with a rope hard to find, or are we just getting smarter as we get older??

I remember everyone teasing Raymond Jefferies for having an electric starter on a 590 Scott 40 years ago.

How things have changed. Even the 125's are started electrically.

Thread Information