Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Jim Mackay

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jim Mackay

Thought I'd try to post some pictures of my brother Jim. Going through some old albums came across these.
    The first boat I built for him was this jsh. Wound up at the bottom of Lake Amador and was never recovered (that we know of).
    The other boat was his FEH that broke every record in the book in it's day.
    Jim was blessed with tremendous talent and passion for the sport. With different circumstances who knows what he would have accomplished.
    Will try to scan more memories and post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill;

What has happened to Jim, I have been away from racing for over 20 years (Plus moved to Washington State in 96), am just now getting back into Racing again.

Thanks, John Biagio

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Thought There Was A Jim MacKay Thread

But, I can't find it. Jim passed away several years ago. Jean MacKay Schwartz races A Hydro and is married to Dan Schwartz.

Jim was a VERY TALENTED driver. He was SST 140 National Champion at least once.

When Jimmy first met Jim he was racing 20 SS Hydro and was dating, his future wife, Bob Holloway's daughter. Bob was a pretty big time Mercury Racing driver and owned Bob's Marine in Modesto.

Jim worked there as a mechanic. He could drive his 20 SS Hydro deeper into a corner than anyone I ever saw except the great Jimbo McConnell.

When Jimmy ran Formula E, I made him a pro from a 17 OMC Cleaver, the same that I ran on an "S" OPC Tunnel.

In 1997, when we were assembling the Arcadian Motor Sports Team, I called Dan Schwatrz and asked if Jimmy could maybe work for us. That is when I found out about Jim's illness.

Boat Racing lost a great one when Jim passed away!..Somewhere here on BRF is a thread about Jim.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron:

Thanks, I raced against Jim in FEH (850 Mod ) for a couple of years, also went to Augusta Ga. to pit for him in SST 140 in 1986. Also went to Havasu in 85 to help him in MOD 100. Lost touch with him in 87 when I had retired from racing !

John Biagio

Post Thanks / Like

Default John Biagio

Is Jack Biagio related to you? Ed Kurakowa always talked about "Racing Jack" That was Jack Biagio who raced with Henry Wagner, Manuel Carnakis and Fred Hauenstein, Sr.

If you are part of that Biagio Family we need you to help us write about them here in the encycloedia.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that is my grandfather, I rember seeing their purple and white trailer at his boat shop in the early 60's ! My dad Bob and uncle Don also raced back then, Don drove for Chuck Parsons for a while. I started in 76, ran FEH, 1100RR and Hydro, 500ccH and some stock calsses. Also rode deck for Jim Schoenfeldt and in a Cracker Box for Doug Barnhart. I stopped in 1986, ran a SE for Del Phipps for a couple of races. My dad raced again from 78 to 86 in FER and FEH.
    Somewhere we have a pile of pictures of the old Purple and white boats testing at Zimmies Pond in Oaklane, must have been 1950 or so, will see if Mom and Dad still have them .
    John Biagio

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default More on Jim

Jim moved up to 20SS Hydro and Formula 350 hydro, winning national high point titles in 1979, ’80, and ‘81. In 1981 Jim received special recognition from APBA with the “Col. Green Round Hill Trophy” and the “George H. Townsend Medal”. Then onto Formula E Hydro, were he broke the kilo record for the class in 1983 and again 1984. In 1982 he set the 1-2/3 mi closed course record, and in 1983 set the 1 mi closed course record. 1983 also included national hi-point championships in Formula E Hydro and 1100cc Pro Hydro.

Next, Jim went tunnel boat racing. His accomplishments included seven national championships, an IOGP SST 140 championship, and a kilo record in Mod 110. In 1985, '86, '87 Jim took top honors in SST 140 at the National championships in Kankakee, IL. In '88 he did it in Champ Boat, '89 Mod 110, and in 1990 he took the championships in both Champ Boat and Mod U. Jim credited much of his success, at Kankakee, to his skill at clock starts acquired from his earlier Stock Outboard racing.

oldalkydriver

Default Checkered Moving Van

I remember the Biagios, especially Don! They always showed up in a purple and white moving van. Nothing but boats, motors and tools. Don used to chase me all over Long Beach when I was a kid. Russ Sr. & Jr. used to act like they were going to throw me in and my dad would beat the blazes out of me. Don drove and rode deck in the 'F' Runabouts. I think he also drove the 'F' Hydro?

Don was the person who made me go get my picture taking with 'Superman' at Long Beach in either '53 or '54.

Used to be lots of fun with those guys.

Thread Information