Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pistons

Post Thanks / Like

Default pistons

Im building several OMC 31.8s- 25/35 hp- deflecter pistons. Ive used stock & Wiseco pistons before, the Wisecos seem to be lighter but run about the same. What are [if any] other choices ? Any opinions on the best performance brand? Thanks, Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonM50 View Post
    Im building several OMC 31.8s- 25/35 hp- deflecter pistons. Ive used stock & Wiseco pistons before, the Wisecos seem to be lighter but run about the same. What are [if any] other choices ? Any opinions on the best performance brand? Thanks, Mike.
    120 looks & no answers, Oh well. I did find out something of interest for anyone boring a 31.8 out, mines 0.030 oversize. It broke & ingested a reed petal so it had to come apart. Its been run about 25 hrs, mostly WOT.
    The cyl sleeves stop about 9/16" short of the bottom of the exhaust side of the casting. [they reach the bottom of the intake side]. From being bored the steel of the sleeve was cut to be flush with the aluminum of the block. This is scratched up as well as about the bottom 1/2" of that side of the piston. Ill have to get in there & clearance that a bit I guess. Something I shouldve seen & addressed then but at least I get a 2nd chance now.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a new brand that just got approved by APBA for OMC A motors, not sure of brand, but, the general consensus was that they were better, and, they were cast not forged like Wisco.

Sorry not to be of any more help....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    There is a new brand that just got approved by APBA for OMC A motors, not sure of brand, but, the general consensus was that they were better, and, they were cast not forged like Wisco.

Sorry not to be of any more help....
    Thanks Bill, maybe somethin'll turn up. I thought I read of a 3rd kind as well as some of these motors being built to race... is it secret?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Pistons (class A OMC) in question are made by GLM. Part number 24430 (for .030 over). This kit includes the piston, rings, wrist pin and keepers. Replacement rings are part number 23730 (2 per set). I sell the piston kits to racers for $45.00 (list $58.00) and the ring sets for $19.00 (list 31.00). They make a full range of cast pistons for OMC and Mercury outboards. Freight is normally just a few dollars.

Hope this helps,

Ken Scoville
    www.boatwrx.com
    Boulder, CO

303-440-0854

Post Thanks / Like

We actually made high ringers for those if you can find them

Post Thanks / Like

Default So, As I Suspected.....Many Combinations

I noticed that Wiseco's 45 piston had a lower ring.....than the OEM ring. Now, you are telling me that some 25-35 have high rings???

That is bad new for a stock class, I feel...Which motors came with high rings? Were there ever .030 high rings.

Seems to me this GT PRO class rules should address the high ring, as I see this as a PROBLEM BREWING...

How much would you need to take off a head to make up for a high ring piston?

Post Thanks / Like

Ron:

Heres something that is pretty weird, beleive it or not. I'm going from the fastest A stock motors here, but, the ones really cooking have low to mid compression, and actually 1cc more room in the chambers than others running good. Clearance of .0055 from piston skirt to piston seem to be whats working.

If you take this model to Mini GT, (we are talking stock motrs right?) you should check to see if a hig ringer is in fact producing more than the other ring and model from that...At least in what my simple cavemen landscaper mind is thinking....
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boatwrx View Post
    The Pistons (class A OMC) in question are made by GLM. Part number 24430 (for .030 over). This kit includes the piston, rings, wrist pin and keepers. Replacement rings are part number 23730 (2 per set). I sell the piston kits to racers for $45.00 (list $58.00) and the ring sets for $19.00 (list 31.00). They make a full range of cast pistons for OMC and Mercury outboards. Freight is normally just a few dollars.

Hope this helps,

Ken Scoville
    www.boatwrx.com
    Boulder, CO

303-440-0854
    Thanks Ken, Im workin with late 70s early 80s 25/35 31.8ci OMCs. Theres 2 piston versions I know of, 5/8" wrist pin & later 3/4", lighter, stronger 3cyl rods can be used with the 3/4 pins.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes we made high ring forged pistons for the 32 cuber you'll find them in 81' 82' 83' stuff, the 82' 35hp was the strongest 32 if you're wanting one of those engines. We changed the rods in 77 or 78'. The high ringers were great cheaters in the Mini Grand Prix motors when my Wife ran MGP, not that there were any in her engine.......

Thread Information