Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Measuring Rake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Measuring Rake

I know how to measure pitch with a wedge of card stock ... can I measure rake the same way?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mark,

You mentioned measuring pitch with a piece of cardstock. How do you go about doing this? I never heard how to do this before. Are you using it to check the face or the back of the prop?

I've seen pitch gages before and know how they are used to come down and touch the cup as it is indexed but thats about all.

David
    Love the Racing

Hate the Politics

Freak'n Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

yes you can I'm not sure how your doing either but as you know rake is at the hub...depending on the prop but on a o/b prop be sure to come off the hub about 1/2" to get a good #

I don't know how often you woud use it but if you like I can check on a price of one for you they arn't that expencive to purchace

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
    You mentioned measuring pitch with a piece of cardstock. How do you go about doing this? I never heard how to do this before. Are you using it to check the face or the back of the prop?
    It was a variation of this:http://www.propellerpages.com/?c=art...ch_measurement

I think Ed Hatch, Tom Brockmeyer or someone else on one of the old Merc discussion boards found it. I can't find my notes related to it, but it works as well as anything for comparing different props all on the same table at the same time. You can easily line them up by pitch even if you don't know the exact pitch ... and if you have the software part you can make a fair calculation/estimate of the pitch.

I know how to mechanically compare pitch, now I want to know how to compare rake on 2 props side by side.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 03-11-2009 at 08:16 PM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thread Information