Thread: Dan Pigott

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The boat in the backround is a Lowrey 4-point. I spent many a Saturday in the boat shop with my Grandpa Andy Lowrey as he and my uncles built these boats. Boy would I like to see one of Grandpa's boats again!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for the picture

Dennis:

Thanks for the posting of the photo. The boat in the foreground is one I built for Ken Parks in Oklahoma in the mid-70's.

Your grandad was very helpful to me when I built a few boats in that time frame.
    Good luck on your promotion of boat racing again in Texas.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Days

Dave, how about this, Lyle Mason back when he was a hippy. Lyle if you had cut some of that hair off you would have picked up a mph are two LOL.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice !!

Sideburns and all !!!!! When dad gets back from the snowmobile trip i am gonna show him that ! I always thought it looked more like a fro !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Our CMH on the way to victory, Boat won 12 heats in a row last year. This was at local races. I a'm sure it won't last because a lot of people think it's runnning faster than it is.. But we all know going around the track is what wins races .

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat racing in winter

Moncks Corner SC Dale's dog (Jim) Beam, looks like he got more Buds than ducks , Bottom, Dale and friend.This is a famous old race site, it was a record course back in the early 50's. . David L 6, don't tell right away i know you know. Anybody know where it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Race site

Hint, its Ark, an has good duck hunting

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lake Village, Arkansas??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Village Ark.

You are right Bill. My son an friends go there every year duck hunting. I went that year with him around 2006. They know some guys from there, that take them hunting and hang around with them at the cabin, they cook an party at night, some great people. I knew that they had races there before, so i asked a guy that was from there about them. He knew all about the boat races an said the water all ways got so rough the drivers did not like it. he told me they held the races at the end of main st. in the middle of town, every time we went to town in my mind, i could just see Loopers and Koings running down the lake. The pic. is at the state park just down from town. They had a USTS race there in the mid 90's.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default USTS Races in Lake Village

Danny:

There were a number of USTS races in Lake Village in the time frame you speak about, probably at least a half dozen, promoted by Don Nichols after he retired from driving himself.

The situation there was kind of sad in that the lake was ALWAYS rough when we were there. Long swells that were very hard to see when on the course, that ran from north to south, and south to north, and then met right in the middle of the race course area in front of the down town area. The problem was caused by pleasure boaters, fisherman with bass boats, etc. doing their thing above and below the race course and then the wakes and swells working their way up and down the lake to the race course. Adding to the problem is the fact the lake lies primarily in a North/South direction and the prevailing wind usually comes from either of those directions and you have a real problem trying to put on a good race for Boats that run at the speeds that PRO boats do.

The local organizers tried their best to control the boat traffic at either end of the course, but because of the way the lake lies, it is almost impossible to avoid rough water when boats are allowed to run at any speed north and south of the course, even a mile or more away. IMHO opinion the only way you would ever have a successful boat racing event there is have the ability to completely shut down all boat traffic the weekend of the race and I doubt the local folks would stand for that. OPC would probably do fine there, based on some video productions I have watched of the PROP Tour at places like Bay City, Mich. PRO boats, as you know, just can't run and put on a show in water like that at the speeds they travel today. The locals really worked hard to promote the races there and were very hospitable, but the rough water just never gave us an opportunity to really show what a good show USTS racing is.

We always had a good time there, but not because of the quality of the racing, at least that is the way I remember it. Boat racing has a long history there as some very good racers came from that area in the late 40's and into the 50's. One name that comes to mind is David Livingston, who won many championships in ALKY boats in that time frame. There was also at least one ALKY Championship held there during that time, maybe more.

Thread Information