Thread: Dan Pigott

Post Thanks / Like

Art Neadeack has a Quincy life jacket, but I don't know anyone else who does.

This jacket not only provided superior floatation, but it also provided rib and kidney protection with all the padding. I'm convinced it saved me some busted ribs in a water skiing mishap.

I think they sold for less than $40.00. A real bargain!

Check out what I'm wearing in my avatar.

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Years Race

Back in the late 70's early 80's there was a race on new years day in Scotts Hill NC. It was put on by WC Lanier he owned Scotts Hill Marina that was on the inland waterway This seems like a bad time to have a boat race but it was well attended and had a great award for the winner a 12 Pack of beer. This was just a fun race all classes ran together they had SE to SST 140 Tunnels. FE to Unlimited V bottoms in the race. The last time i was there a SE boat blew over and a SST 140 boat blew over an landed in the marsh the driver was not hurt bad. The wind was blowing pretty good and was very cold for the guys that went in the water.WC also had a OMC dealership and a Unlimited V bottom and a U tunnel. he calls me often an wants to have a little reunion of the drivers of that time we have not done it but might have it someday. This was just a little new years story i don't know how good the drivers felt on new years day but they still had fun.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That is about the most unheard of time for a race Danny. I can remember waking up to Tim Butts testing at my Dad's waterfront on New Year's Day.....but racing? That's why BRF is the go to site for boat racing history.

Convince Mr. Lanier to have the reunion and post some pics. Thanks for the uusual New Year's Day boat racing story Danny.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Citrus circuit??

Hey, you guys ever hear of the "citrus circuit" back in the "old days" ??

Races stared in Miami over the holidays and then moved on to almost every weekend until the end of April!

Upps, sorry -- got carried away with my "old farts" memorys! hehe

Geo

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Citrus (?) Circuit

Quote Originally Posted by ezryder View Post
    Hey, you guys ever hear of the "citrus circuit" back in the "old days" ??

Races stared in Miami over the holidays and then moved on to almost every weekend until the end of April!

Upps, sorry -- got carried away with my "old farts" memorys! hehe

Geo
    George,

Wasn't it called the Grapefruit Circuit?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Almost Sure Ity WAS The Grapefruit Curcuit....

One year, Ernie Dawe and I tried to figure if we could get to Miami, with his C Hydro on top of his '57 Plymouth, and race and then get back before our parents knew we went.......At Christmas vacation....(We sobered up the next day and figured it wasn't possible....but we sure wished we could have raced "The Grapefruit Curcuit"...).

I agree with T.A.R.T here...which isn't often!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to go with Geo. Dad allways called it the Citus Circult i think this was in the 50's Later it was called the Grape fruit Circult

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Sport Magazine site

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Pigott View Post
    I have to go with Geo. Dad allways called it the Citus Circult i think this was in the 50's Later it was called the Grape fruit Circult
    I believe that if you go to the Boat Sport magazine site & look at the 50's magazines & the articles headed "On the racing scene" and even other articles the Florida races were referred to as the Grapefruit Circuit.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems George and Danny are right John. I found an article that several times called it the "Citrus Circuit" including the title. I will try to post it later. Can't do it from here.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Citrus Circuit

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Seems George and Danny are right John. I found an article that several times called it the "Citrus Circuit" including the title. I will try to post it later. Can't do it from here.
    I humbling accept the correction, but when I raced in Lakeland in the 60's it was one race on the Grapefruit circuit.

Thread Information