Thread: Dan Pigott

Post Thanks / Like

Default Von Ernst

I remember your dad well , he raced in SEBA in the 50's and 60's. I remember at a race in Sav. Ga. about 1963 he drove Sheriff Hatton's Cabover hydro with a 6 cyl. Merc on it. The 6 cyl. Merc had 6 stacks , that was something to see an hear. Von was a great driver i can remember dad talking about him .

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default the beast

at 51 i still remember that boat.then it was the biggest everything i had ever seen.the sound of 6 stacks u cannot forget even at 4 yr old.used to seeing little 2 cylinder motors 10foot hydroplanes then that.the sound and roostertails when yall raced was great.to quote gary 2 stokes is boat racing 4 stokes not.same at motocross 4 strokes sound like a tractor pull lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sheriff Hatton

This is a little story about Mrs Hatton. They had races at Hazelhurst Ga. from the early 60's this was the town that Sheriff Hatton lived in. After Sheriff died his wife and the ladys club continued to put the race on for years. About 84 i was at the race talking to mrs Hatton when she ask me what classes i was going to run, I said B and D Mod Hydro, and that i had a new Konig to run in C Pro. She looked at me kind of hard and said KOING ! she said Sheriff bought one of those once and it gave so much trouble I told him if he didn't get rid of it I would divorce him. I guess that is why he always ran Loopers. The last boat he had was a Marchetti and 44 Looper and drove it in to his 70's, he retired when he got to where he could not see well enough to race.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a good story Danny.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great story about Sheriff Hatton, Danny!
    Thanks for posting.
    Regards,
    George

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sheriff

One more story, Some time in the 60's Sheriff and Melvin Cooper went to a race in Chicago, I don't know if this was a Nat's or not. Testing ,Sheriff's Looper stuck a piston. That night in the motel room Melvin put a new piston in it, when he was though Sheriff said we need to crank it to make sure it will run. Melvin asked how are we going to do that, Sheriff said just clamp it on the head of the bed ,so they did shot it with lacquer thinner an fired it up this was about 1:00 AM. the room was full of smoke , there was a knock on the door Melvin said he opened it and there stood the biggest woman he had ever seen. She though them out of the room and made Sheriff pay for the bed carpet and most everything in the room. Melvin told me Sheriff must have forgot he was in Chicago and not GA. I don't think he really cared where he was.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default sherriff hatten

heres another from mom,brother and i still in playpen mrs batemen scoring, mr,harold racing.donald about 8 or 10 so he stayed in our pits eating cookies.race over sherriff looks at donald bateman and ask ,son u hungry what u want.donald says steak and potatoes.go to eat sherriff hatten orders donald steak he eats all!sherriff pays for his,tells mr harold he neds to feed his youngun.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a good one Danny!
    As I recall Sheriff Hatten operated from another planet
    Geo
    PS: I'm currently in DePue for the nationals to pick up more boats and
    motors for my collection.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default dan piggott

keep em coming danny,this great.thought about going down to beaufort this weekend.my fishing hole is all over sc sportsman,but i got more.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Wine glass that has Konig on the side of it , anybody ever seen one of these? I will try to post a pic soon, have had it for many years a friend brought it from Germany.

Thread Information