Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1976 Mod 50 winner @OPC nats

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris...something wasn't jiving with me on the 1976 results because I couldn't remember racing either Lee or Ron. I won the 250 hydro nationals in 1976 and finished second behind Denny Henderson in 350 hydro. I didn't have the results of 1975 PRO nationals, but have have the info in my notes for the story. I didn't race in 1975 due to a neck injury, but I took a lot of pics. That's when Lee won the nationals, and that's what got me to thinking because I remember those pics in Powerboat. I was going to post some pics from that race never seen before by anyone except me. Unfortunately, in the envelope with all the negatives from a particular contact sheet were all the negatives except the strip I needed. I tried looking in other envelopes, but when something like that gets misfiled, I will probably only come across it by accident. I still have others from that race to post, but I have run out of time and have to get to the shop. In the meantime, I'll post a little section of that contact sheet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Winona

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Chris...something wasn't jiving with me on the 1976 results because I couldn't remember racing either Lee or Ron. I won the 250 hydro nationals in 1976 and finished second behind Denny Henderson in 350 hydro. I didn't have the results of 1975 PRO nationals, but have have the info in my notes for the story. I didn't race in 1975 due to a neck injury, but I took a lot of pics. That's when Lee won the nationals, and that's what got me to thinking because I remember those pics in Powerboat. I was going to post some pics from that race never seen before by anyone except me. Unfortunately, in the envelope with all the negatives from a particular contact sheet were all the negatives except the strip I needed. I tried looking in other envelopes, but when something like that gets misfiled, I will probably only come across it by accident. I still have others from that race to post, but I have run out of time and have to get to the shop. In the meantime, I'll post a little section of that contact sheet.
    It was Winona, & I believe 1975 that Lee won 250 Runabout & 350 Hydro. I raced Trebor Billiter's "B", Pete Hellsten's "A" & Pete Cruzans modified 3 cylinder OMC "F" on Jim Gohery's Yale or Butts "C" Hydro. Ran 1st start to finish in the "B" elimination, but jumped. Was out front in Pete's "A" a Byers hydro with 2 laps to go & tank came loose & lost fuel & was in 3rd comforably in a position to qualify & hooked a sponson & speared a buoy. After not running hydros sinc2 1971 running Tunnels for OMC, this was a isaster for me. Billiters "B" was really fast, I had to lean forward over the steering wheel on the back stretch, but would never had beat Lee, although I would have enjoyed being in the final with him.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The picture is of Ron Anderson's 250 Hydro. The guys are Scooter Paulsen, Lee and Ron. The kids are Steve Sutter (4), Chris Sutter (6) and Scooters daughter.

Chris and Steve never raced boats, but they know more then you could ever believe!!! In fact, I remember racing SST-120 at St. Louis in 1976 and after I ran my qulifying run Chris was telling how to drive the thing. Apparently I was not driving up to his standards!!! Chris played Division 1 Baseball in college, graduated from Washington and is a VP for a large firm in NYC. He lives in Westport, Conn. Steve graduated from Iowa and works with me in the Housewares business in Seattle and is running the company.

Ron was way out front and stuck a piston - just like he did at the Worlds in Alexandria, LA. I never raced his "NITRO" engine, but it hauled the mail - until it broke. It would run faster then Kilo record with a long course set-up on the 250 Runabout, which was 80MPH at the time.

Tell me to stop... as I'm looking for my life jacket....

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lifejacket

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Sutter View Post
    The picture is of Ron Anderson's 250 Hydro. The guys are Scooter Paulsen, Lee and Ron. The kids are Steve Sutter (4), Chris Sutter (6) and Scooters daughter.

Chris and Steve never raced boats, but they know more then you could ever believe!!! In fact, I remember racing SST-120 at St. Louis in 1976 and after I ran my qulifying run Chris was telling how to drive the thing. Apparently I was not driving up to his standards!!! Chris played Division 1 Baseball in college, graduated from Washington and is a VP for a large firm in NYC. He lives in Westport, Conn. Steve graduated from Iowa and works with me in the Housewares business in Seattle and is running the company.

Ron was way out front and stuck a piston - just like he did at the Worlds in Alexandria, LA. I never raced his "NITRO" engine, but it hauled the mail - until it broke. It would run faster then Kilo record with a long course set-up on the 250 Runabout, which was 80MPH at the time.

Tell me to stop... as I'm looking for my life jacket....
    Lee,

Although not legal, I have a like new Gentex like we used back in the day. I would gladly let you use it to see you in a Hydro again.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Give me a heads up....

....Lee and John, so I can bring my cameras.

I cannot believe what I'm finding. First the missing negative strip from one contact sheet, then on a different contact sheet...the only missing negs were once again the pit shots of Lee and crew from Winona. These were from some of the group I intended to make prints for autographs. I cannot imagine where they are, but it must have been a plan. Unless...have you been by my house Chris??? There was one point leading up to the DePue Reunion I had stuff scattered everywhere going through photos for Ron Hill's plagues. I cannot imagine I wouldn't refile them in the proper sleeves though. It might be though that I was putting all my negatives together to make prints for my unfinished scrapbooks of photos that appeared in Powerboat. Whatever I did though was a dumb idea. There were four photos I took of you Lee that appeared in the November 1975 issue of Powerboat. Three appeared in the article I wrote about the Grain Belt Pro Nationals, and the 4th was one of you in your A runabout as one of the 1975 Hall of Champions inductees.

Here is a photo of Ron Anderson in that screaming A hydro, and a strip of contact sheets showing part of the missing negatives.

ADD: The Powerboat photo of Mark Demaray winning 125 hydro in 1976 is missing also.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default wayne and lee

Wayne,
    Tom Hindley resides in Spokane Washington and still is in the jewelry business, I dont know if he has a web site or not. Tom tried unlimiteds a bit but crashed one quite well and that was pretty much the end to his racing.

Lee,
    Kyle got his capsule training done last week so send me a message with your phone number and Ill call you when we get the 45 ready to hit the water.He is very excited to have you as a mentor in this journey.

Kyle is at Pineville La. this week for the winter nationals his first heat is 8:30 tomorrow morning sure drew a hard heat for elims, oh well best to race against the fast guys to see where were at.

regards, Carl

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Please wish Kyle good luck for me and will you please post his progress?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hydro that won the 1976 Dayton race

I am the very proud owner of that hydro. I've had it several years now. I did run a Merc 800 stacker/SuperSpeedmaster on it for two years, taking it out maybe 3 times a year for 5 minutes thrill rides. It would GPS over 85 without much trouble, fast enough for me.
    Maybe it's the boat - but it was a real vibrator when running. I had cut an old 15" midsection down to 12", and after the welds broke for the 3rd. time I parted out the motor and said to hell with it.
    The boat today resides on a rack in my garage, as there are signs of fatigue and age showing up in the bottom and sponsons.
    Thanks to recent photos from the Internet and various websites, I plan on refinishing the boat back to the original blue paint and the #82, Moon fuel tank, reset the wheel back to the forward position, etc. The boat was retransomed at some point in time - I think when the Merten's ran a Mod 50 on it. I had photos of it run by Jim Jr. at Neenah but have not been able to locate these pictures.
    Anyway, it is alive and well at 33 years old. I plan to display it at the AOMCI National Meet in Tomahawk WI this August - just the boat, no motor - yet.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeing these old photos of A&H boats brings back many old memories. This may not be the best thread to post these shots in, but I tried one of Ron’s boats once in 25SSH – trying to test a few new things out. The new design items did not work that well on this boat on a pretty windy day at Green Lake in Seattle in the late 70's. But it gave me some ideas for what not to do on the next boat I built. I had to fix the deck for Ron on this one where I put my head through it.

Mark

I have the 8X10 glossys of this blow-over in sequence photos taken by Bob Carver, the great free lance boat racing photographer from Seattle. Bob always got the great shots - he could see a blow over coming long before the drivers ever did.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I Can't believe I didn't see this before. I was at this Dayton race in 76' and the MOD 50 battle between Lee and Jimbo was the highlight of the day! It was basically a 2-boat race where Jimbo gained on Lee out of the turns and Lee had just enough top end to pull away on the straights and stay out front. Every one was watching in amazement, I never saw anything like that before or since.

I also remember seeing and admiring Ken Stevenson's boat. Just beautiful....... at that time just a work of art. Thanks for posting the pictures Roy!

Thread Information