Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Old HotRodder

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just want a little more horsepower out of them, without making them run WOT all the time. I think more compression is the key to that. They have something like a 5 to 1 compression ratio. I really don't want to spin them over 5 grand. I just want to get a couple more inches of pitch and go fast and look good. This is basically a show-boat. Speaking of shows, anybody from this group going to Muscatine? www.muscatineboatshow.com.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 50sFlash View Post
    Thanks Mike, I was surprised to see the pistons not come to the top. I hope this shows it OK. This is at TDC. Still looking for someone that has run these before.

I got the Hot Foot ready with both cables. It doesn't return well, but I think after the motors are rebuilt and the advance freed up it should be OK.

Yeah, thats pretty low in the hole. The 70s deflectors I play with have a very close fitting piston/head situation compared. Hot foot: you could separate the timing & the throttle, I do it by spring loading the time w/ a 2 position setup w/ adjustable full advance. In other words I start it retarded & run it full. I use a Quincy safety throttle, it doesnt have enough throw or return spring to operate both time & throttle. The hot-foot probably has more capacity. Being determined to get what you want is cool, You can do it! Show & Go are cooler than Show or Go

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    If you want to see what a 75HP OMC can really do in stock form with just lower unit and a good boat, see if you can find the footage of the Star Flight Too, which was a box stock 89.9 cubic inch OMC engine, with a racing gear case. The boat ran around 117? give or take. That will give you the idea of what we are talking about here. All the mods were below the water.
    The average speed turned out to be 114+

I don't think OMC claimed anywhere that the powerhead was box stock ... all that was box stock was the 5,000 rpm motor speed. You have to listen closely to advertising claims and recall every detail.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be very interesting to see if anyone on that project was still alive and might remember details, or better yet, if the motor was stilll around....
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

The motor is still around, but I doubt anyone would be allowed to check the specs on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I would settle for a few pictures similar to what was taken of the Starflite IV's engine.
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    I would settle for a few pictures similar to what was taken of the Starflite IV's engine.

IV's engine? In a museum or magazine?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    The motor is still around, but I doubt anyone would be allowed to check the specs on it.
    Ya think maybe she's not quite stock Sam?

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a video of Doc Jones taking about the engine...He ays, "block's stock, crank and rods are stock, heads are stock, everything except the exhaust and lower unit."

Now who knows if that was what just what was said and not what was...

The Starflite IV engine resided in the Briggs basment up in Lake Forest IL? I thought, but there have been some pretty extensive close up photos where unlike the Starflite 2 and 3 motors.

You know who would know if he can be found is the Mouse.
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been racing since 1959. I know there's three things you need to do to go fast. Increase air flow, increase compression, decrease reciprocating mass (burn more gas than the next guy). Show me the fool that wants to set the speed record and doesn't do that, and I'll show you somebody that won't set the record.

Thread Information