Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Old HotRodder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 50sFlash View Post
    I found an easy 5 bolt-on horses.

[/img]

I was told the 40 is a better powerhead to modify because it has bigger crank journals. Thoughts anyone?
    I dont know about the crank but typical of johnny-rude to put a different crank in a motor that looks outwardly the same as another.. Ive got 2 31.8 35s apart, 1 has a better crank but I found the labrynth seal to be bigger on 1, same otherwise.
    Got a Lark 35 & a '60 40 like yours, on the same boat the 40 had a slight acceleration edge but no top speed increase.
    Ive thought also about the reeds, been told "not worth it", "well worth it" & "if one breaks your motor wont get hurt". What I do know is that experimenting with reeds makes a difference.. I made a jig to bend stops a little, got a little performance, bent some more & got a new piston. They will break but till then the motor will do 3-5 hundred Rs more under the same load. Thats an argument for trying composites but I havent $prung for em yet...Or discovered my being a long lost Rocker-feller. lols

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonM50 View Post
    I dont know about the crank but typical of johnny-rude to put a different crank in a motor that looks outwardly the same as another.. Ive got 2 31.8 35s apart, 1 has a better crank but I found the labrynth seal to be bigger on 1, same otherwise.
    Got a Lark 35 & a '60 40 like yours, on the same boat the 40 had a slight acceleration edge but no top speed increase.
    Ive thought also about the reeds, been told "not worth it", "well worth it" & "if one breaks your motor wont get hurt". What I do know is that experimenting with reeds makes a difference.. I made a jig to bend stops a little, got a little performance, bent some more & got a new piston. They will break but till then the motor will do 3-5 hundred Rs more under the same load. Thats an argument for trying composites but I havent $prung for em yet...Or discovered my being a long lost Rocker-feller. lols
    Something more to consider, The shrouding on those is so tuff & bulky youd think they were bullet proof, Your best performance trick may be 'safely' losing some weight... [from it lols]

Post Thanks / Like

Something more to consider, The shrouding on those is so tuff & bulky youd think they were bullet proof, Your best performance trick may be 'safely' losing some weight... [from it lols]
    Oh...but those oldies were SO quiet with that extra shrouding! Seriously. Undoubtebly the quietest motor of that era.
    But I agree, the extra shrouding added about 25lbs to them.
    Jeff Yungen

Post Thanks / Like

Mike:

We had some issues with 40HP rods that we never had with 30/33/35's...If memory serves me, there were a couple years where the rods were weak, just as with the first year 75 V-4's. Changes were made, though I cannot tell you what and how. That said, check the part numbers to see if they were the same, or, maybe Michael G can chime in if he is out there, I could be off base here.
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeff55vDSH View Post
    Oh...but those oldies were SO quiet with that extra shrouding! Seriously. Undoubtebly the quietest motor of that era.
    But I agree, the extra shrouding added about 25lbs to them.
    Thats right, my 40 even has Super Quiet decal-ed onto the mid, even the mid has a shroud & the front half seconds as the lower mount- hard to lose that.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

OK when I pulled the powerhead I found spring and seal parts. Is there such a thing as heavy duty?

What's the little valves for? Is just stock OK? new or run what I got?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 50sFlash View Post
    OK when I pulled the powerhead I found spring and seal parts. Is there such a thing as heavy duty?

What's the little valves for? Is just stock OK? new or run what I got?

Believe it or not those are compression releases to start it.

Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not those are compression releases to start it.
    OOps, I just stumbled down & didnt even have coffee yet. those are in the back by the spark plugs. I think my coffees done

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's OK Mike, April Fools Day was Wednesday. Ya didn't fool me. LOL One has a large hole under it, the other has like a 1/16" hole. Since I can't even find a listing for Boyesen valves for this thing I guess it doesn't matter what they do. The top cylinder had a sticky top ring and blow-by scuffing, and residue in the intake side, but the ring lands are good, so I think it will clean up OK. All the bearing surfaces are good. Who sells cheap parts?
    One other thing, I thought it had a 3" bore, but it measures like 3.060 with my cheap calipers. I couldn't have a 60 0ver stock from factory could I?

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know about the bore, biggest over Ive seene was 40 over for the 31.8ci. Best bet on parts is spare motors but some stuff should be new. Look up the Mastertech, if he has em itll be reasonable.

Thread Information