Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: APBA Stock Legal Fuel

Post Thanks / Like

93 octane or higher?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not an SO driver, so my opinion doesn't really matter here, but I gotta give it anyway.

I guess I don't see why you guys don't just pick a couple of fuels out of the VP Fuel catalog and that's that. Or use any racing fuel company that you like.

We run the VP at the APR races. They have a minimum that you have to purchase at registration, which is something like 5 gallons for an SST-60 and 10 for an SST-120. They have us pre-order so they know what to get and you can order as much extra as you want if you need some for testing or a club race somewhere. We have two options, the VP Marine and MS93. You guys might like something else, but at least you establish a standard that you know will be exactly the same everywhere you go.

It's hard to tune things when the gas is different everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark:

Will you be at Puddingstone?
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

I wont but my dad will I have some good fuel you can try call me Ill tell you about it.
    916-517-5998. I run it in my boat has always passed and I have no minimum APBA just passed 4 more of our fuels for PS and SS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob77 View Post
    I guess I don't see why you guys don't just pick a couple of fuels out of the VP Fuel catalog and that's that. Or use any racing fuel company that you like.

We run the VP at the APR races. They have a minimum that you have to purchase at registration, which is something like 5 gallons for an SST-60 and 10 for an SST-120. They have us pre-order so they know what to get and you can order as much extra as you want if you need some for testing or a club race somewhere. We have two options, the VP Marine and MS93. You guys might like something else, but at least you establish a standard that you know will be exactly the same everywhere you go.

It's hard to tune things when the gas is different everywhere.
    Very good suggestion. I think Stock will have to at least lean this way at Divisionals and Nationals

Here is the VP fuels page http://vpracingfuels.com/fuels_unleaded.asp

About half way down the page are some choices that should work for APBA Stock.

Thanks for pointing this out, Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    Very good suggestion. I think Stock will have to at least lean this way at Divisionals and Nationals

Here is the VP fuels page http://vpracingfuels.com/fuels_unleaded.asp

About half way down the page are some choices that should work for APBA Stock.

Thanks for pointing this out, Mark
    Seems there is only one fuel from the VP list you linked that is not oxygenated.

What about the logistics for the rest of the race programs across the country to get legal fuel. It is a huge headache to try and figure out at each race how much legal fuel to have on hand when you cant even get guys to pre-register for a race.
    I think you would see less boats at the races due to lack of prior planning.
    What due you do if you run out of legal fuel on site?

It does not fix the problem.

Not to mention the guy that runs a different legal fuel that he is tuned for. Then he goes to the Nationals and has to run a designated fuel he is not tuned for.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stock Nat's

Sam,

Read about the Stock Nat's on the other website, they posted a long time ago that they were providing VP fuel to the racers if you pre-order how much you need........ problem solved for that race anyway. No excuse to not be legal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sst45jefff View Post
    Seems there is only one fuel from the VP list you linked that is not oxygenated.

It does not fix the problem.

Not to mention the guy that runs a different legal fuel that he is tuned for. Then he goes to the Nationals and has to run a designated fuel he is not tuned for.
    Correct, MS93 is about half way down the page, and it is the only one, my mistake.

I think it would solve the problem. In Stock, the only races where the "fuel of the day" rule can not be used are Nationals and Divisionals.

I do not propose that there should be a designated fuel, only that future Divisionals and Nationals do as this year's Stock Nationals at Grasslake IS doing: Provide legal fuel for those who pre-pay. Race committees wouldn't have to do anymore than buy what is paid for in advance. If the fuel is known in advance, such as VP MS93, everyone has the opportunity to test and tune in advance by purchasing their own can; it will not be mystery fuel like the current practice of buying what is available locally.

Dave is right, no excuse for not being legal.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe VP has some other fuels that aren't listed in their catalog, too. When we first started using VP at the APR races, MS93 was not in their catalog. I would suggest that someone contact VP and see what they do have that may better meet the particular needs of your engines.

VP has worked well with APR. I believe that what happens is that when we pre-register, we specify how much fuel we need. APR then totals that up and sends the order to VP. One of VPs local distributors then brings the fuel to the race site, and they always bring some extra. That covers a couple of guys that might show up unexpectedly, plus you always have a guy or two that was planning on coming but didn't make it. So you have his fuel as well. We used to pay the VP guy directly and he'd pump the fuel into our containers, but then he had to keep track of who bought what and we had to save receipts so we could prove that we bought the legal fuel. Now we pay APR for the fuel when we register and they just write the VP guy one big check. The fuel comes in sealed, metal, 5 gallon cans so you just go over to the fuel guy and pick up all the cans that have your name written on them.

If you guys are considering this, I would suggest that someone contact Sam or Sherron at APR. I'm sure they'd help you guys make the right contacts at VP. I'd also think that VP would be willing to work out some sponsorship deal as well.

As far as finding fuel, VP has warehouses located around the country. They have dealers literally everywhere. You just call the nearest warehouse (mine is in Terra Haute, IN) and ask them who your local dealer would be. My dealer is up in Chicago, but they run down to Terra Haute at least once a week to pick up fuel. Whatever I need, whether it be 5 gallons or 50 gallons, he'll drop it off right here at the house on the way back. A couple of times, I've decided to go to a non-APR event where I needed to provide my own fuel. I've called VP and found a dealer that was on my route to the races, then made arrangements for him to have what I need so I can pick it up on my way through. I think the stuff is very accessible.

Plus, I've never seen a stuck float needle and seat since we've started running it!

Again, just 2 cents from someone who has only been to stock outboard races by accident!

Post Thanks / Like

APR brings MS93 - unleaded motor octane 90, or MS Marine - leaded motor octane 97.

The Marine seems to have a very high evaporation rate and I personally avoid it.

At the OPC nationals, I believe we also usually get VP Red, which is leaded and has a motor octane of 105. I suppose for Mod-U motors.

Thread Information