Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112

Thread: Quincy Looper Pics.............

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Class D to F Quincy Flathead (40-44-46 cube) Propeller - Tulip Blade

This tripple blade tulip eared prop is the latest effort for the Quincy Flathead Looper 44 cube engines here. In spite of its small surface areas this wheel commands the power to make it work and is a real work of technology when its does get the power it needs. There is no comparrison to any older 2 blade Alky hydro props and this tripple blade in any way. It is like night and day in the difference speed with terrific pull all around turns. I tried using this prop on three different FEs, just to see what would happen. This prop just kills their revs and sucks up so much power from them and it could not deliver any performance anything one could talk about when its used on the Quincy Flatheads (40-44-46 cu.in.) Those Merc FE engines could do no justice to what the Quincy Flathead 44 cube 4 could do and I would so much like to get to run it on the Quincy Flathead 46 cubic inch engine so that cylinder replacement on it is becoming a priority sometimes in the near future.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default I am concerned about this 46 inch Flatheads Cylinder Situation

I am plenty concened about the 46 cube Flathead cylinder situation I have on my hands. A bad piston ring screwed up and chewed some groves around 2 transfer ports enough to cause leakage of exhaust gases back to the crankcase. Tried an industrial cold chroming process to repair the spots but they fairly quickly failed again. Looked at replacing that cast iron sleve but this was a FD or D Quincy Flathead that was rebored liner and block aluminum to get to a liner to make it a 46 cubic inch "F" block but the liners are right on top of and even touch into the re-threading inserts for the head bolts. There is no telling yet if it was line bored, re-linered again after it was made into an "F" and with what accurracy? We have an outfit here that coats cylinder liners with performance finishes for high performance and racing snowmo and cycles etc. related but they want me to leave this block behind for them to do the job. Problem is that the block is not replaceable anywhere and I have had 2 bad situations where parts were supposedly lost/missplaced before with others and but later you find out they were broken and tossed out with an excuse! That is the last thing I want to do is let that block out of my sight!

Does anyone out there have a boreable block class C or larger that can be punched out and re-linered and how much cash are we lookimg at? Any 4 cylinder Quincy Flathead given there is enough metal left can be rebored and re-linered, maybe even nikasealed instead. It seems a shame to be in this situation where there is so much and is hung up and safest to be just be made into a non-runable saw horse queen! Maybe I am the one being unrealistic??
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 07-18-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Thread Information