Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Quincy Looper Pics.............

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default ANOTHER QUINCY FLATHEAD "D" 40 CUBIC INCH ARISES FROM MANY DUSTY BOXES

There were no carbs or ignition for this Flathead D as it came out of its many boxes to be pieced together. Not having enough parts to build some more Carter Model Ns, I resorted to the using of Merc carbs - WMKs - from larger Merc engines that Elmer Grade, Palm Beach, Florida came up and gave me the basis what to make them with as alternative Alky carbs for big inch Konigs as well as for big Quincy flatheads. He also built a version with remote DelOrto fuel bowls where things got too tight to have or retain the original bowl on the carbs. This engine features the fuel bowls as cast with these Tillotson like carbs. Enjoy these pictures, the next few days will see the whole engine ready for use, show or go.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Batch 2 - Quincy D Flathead Coming Together

Batch 2 Of Quincy Flathead Coming Together.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Quincy Flathead D Re-construction Finished, Fired Up And Re-inspected

In the horrible heat we have been suffering from North America wide, this D Quincy Flathead was finally finished in my garage wrokshop. She is meant (by me for show or a little go) to run on 20% gasoline to go with the rest of the methanol and lubricant to run decently with the power available from a Merc P4D Red Cap magneto. Having finished the powerhead and this city being summer deserted and with the horrible heat and with everyone pretty much gone to cottage country I just had to try a fireup, just to hear it erupt! She was put on a tower, gearcase, testwheel and stuck in a water tank and fired, in the garage with ear protection on! Whaaaap! She lives! Its alive! Took her off the tower and back on the bench to see what was going wrong anywhere? Nothing! I took lots of pictures, before on the bench and after back on the bench, so enjoy. There was too much smoke to take pictures othewise and I was worried a neighbor that might be at home might come and club me out, so things went swiftly, very swiftly, with me looken as if nothing had happened!

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Second Batch Quincy D - July-aug-2005

The second batch of more Quincy Flathead D Picts.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Third Batch Quincy Flathead D Looper

Third batch of Quincy D Looper picts, post fireup.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well, let's see it run!

John,

How about bringing it to Hammond, IN in 2 weeks for test run?

DW

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default I Would Love To But Legal Issues We Are Taking Forward Require Preparations

I would love to bring her to a spectator event for some show and go but legal issues and challenges I am bringing froward challenging government/medical malfeascance, government medical frauds and their insurance frauds schemes that affected us require we stay put here to prepare and deal with them in meetings and hearings into later September and maybe onward too. Right now things are about as clear as mud about them but not to us and they don't like that much.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default QUINCY CLASS "F" ALKY (F-18) RETURNING TO ITS 1966 LOOK AS COMEMORATED

With the assistance of a couple of racers with some great shots, this Quincy Class "F" Alky 44 inch Flathead Looper (setup for runabout with the Konig gearcase) is slowly heading back to what it looked like as it was pictured back in 1966 at Christener's Quincy Welding facility. With any luck, it could be completely restored that 1966 look by the end of this August.

The following pictures show it slowly changing from a modernized one back to that 1966 look. There are pictures on the wall in front of it to comemorate it and the Quincy drivers that drove her, Jim Schoch and Jerry Simison (please excuse errors on spellings should they have occurred).

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 44 Looper

Hey John; I see what yur talkin about! I think I understand whay ya did to make them big carbs work, I gonna play with some on a flow bench here next week I hope and see if I can make them work for me. You gave me an idea for a 44 FE and am dyin of curiousity if by flowin more fuel through them big carbs if the engine can take it and really produce more power! (I'm glad I don't drink, thinkin of all the different way to build horsepower can just about do it to ya!)

Thanks John for these awesome pic's!
    Don

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default For that APBA Formula E 44 cuber, you should get into Merc's KC1s or KC2s carbs

Ya, they are a pretty cool carb for Alky according to Elmer for anything be it Quincy or Konig over 40 cubes to 60 cubes and up on 2 or 3 carbs but for ALky. For APBA Forumla E you should give the Merc/Tillotson KCs a go. The KC1s which were on the Merc 650 - 60 to 66 cube 4 cylinder engines. The first time I noticed the KC2s, they were on a later model Merc 500 Anniversary Special 50 HP at the prop 4 cylinder 44. I convert these to a screw in/out adjustable high speed needle jet system using Tillotson HR/HD early snow/mo needles and spring washer O ring loaded packing glands. Its awkward to adjust these needles being the jet facing is 40% off to the right making it tight between magneto housing and the carb on the top only in particular but being partient and careful will do the trick anyway. The Tillotson KC1s and KC2s (real big venturis) to KC15s series carbs also make for good Alky converstions too for short barrell wide throat reed block applications but for piston port stuff overall barrel and adapter lengths and longish velocity stacks would probably work their ways into a good running butterful carb.

Thread Information