Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Quincy Looper Pics.............

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spark plug help and info

Who is running what plugs on their loopers? I'm looking for info on C, D, and F loopers. What is a good starting point. What is the next hotter or colder plug? Anyone with a good cross reference? The plug on my D looper was an AC M40FFG. What else would work? What does this cross to? Thanks...Steve

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Quincy Falthead Looper Spark Plugs

When I got my Quincy Flathead 4 bangers that same spark plug yuou have in your D Looper is one and I have another of the AC type above and below that too.

What were in the engines to seal the cylinders when I got them were some Champion L83R and L84R. As Champion sparkplugs go that is one higher against the other. The fellow I got the engines from that his dad used to run told me that one or the other of those two was "patchy running" and since then I have been told one was easier to run magnetos where there was a gasoline component in the ALky mix to make it start and run easier on a magneto. TO cap all that off there wasn't a magneto for any of them, they were all Mercury CD battery breakerless high voltage ignitions.

I understand there is also an Autolite spark plug for them too in differing heat ranges and I have some but there are no notes and no one to guide me on those though I run specific Autolite plugs as well as Champions in A and B Alky Anzanis and I am told Quincy loopers like yours and mine did too, so there must be something somewhere to help.

A lot of information I have since sorted out a bit for myself but the Champion L84Rs sparkplugs run best for me with CD ignition, Alky with Union Carbide - Jack Rabbit 2 stroke pure synthetic racing oil at a 20 to 1 Alky / Lube mix. UCJC is not a caster oil and I have seen nothing like it that mixes equally well with gasoline, gasohol, Alky or Alky Nitro mixes for fuels.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi John:

I had some pics of what I called your "Garage of Dreams" but lost them in a hard drive crash I had awhile ago.
    Post some pics of your wares, I'm sure all would love to see your fine handywork.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Some Quincy Stuff To View - But its not melting out yet!

Good idea to post some Quincy / Merc deflector and Quincy Flathead Looper stuff. Some is with a digital camera, some is not but scanned in so the quality and color may not be toogood. Love doing the digital stuff now.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Jeff Lytle; 04-08-2005 at 04:58 PM.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Some more Quincy Deflectors and Quincy Flathead Looper Pics

Some more pictures assortments. Will be doing more digital stuff this spring.
    Last edited by Jeff Lytle; 04-08-2005 at 05:00 PM.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default D-Quincy - All Quincy Block and Crankcased D Flathead

Some D Flathead pictures. This was the only complete Quincy Flathead 4 Looper I had at the time with all Quincy Block and Crankcase castings. The rest were Merc mark 55-58 fronts other than a Ray Nydahl crankcased version I have his son Pete to thank on figuring out how it was equipped and set up.
    Last edited by Jeff Lytle; 04-08-2005 at 04:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default John...

Hate to bitch...but, my screen is small and I have a
    hard time drooling over your small pictures...

When he Mercs were "Third" ported...Say on a "D" cross flow. What gain was seen and where was the gain?

Does crankcase pressure not really matter in a LOOPER???

Thanks for sposting you pictures..I LOVE pictures...just need to see them all!!!

That "ORANGE" looking four cyclinder with the "COW BELLS".....What the story there???

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default The yellow Merc 55H-1 Yellow Cow Belled Special! LOL!

That engine I got from a fellow in 1993 whose father (Calaquin) and son team use to run stock and alky outboard with a club around Fort Dodge, Iowa. Its a Quincy padded block Merc with later model all alumnum Quincy pipes that had a real custom built up "rotary valve crankshaft" in it. I am sure the custom work on the crankshaft with its rotary valve systems in place of where the reed blocks used to see action was probably worth as much as the engine was by itself. The crank weighed with all assembles attached surrounding about 35% more than a standar Merc 500 crankshaft. When I got it, it still had a burnt Turner piston in it and with thanks Dudley Malone found me an exact match to replace it and overhaul the engine. We dang near died starting it, no one knew except me how to start it with the rediculous compression. It went like gangbusters but that crankshaft just would not slow down. It was only good for long courses with real wide turns to keep it wide open as possible. It was very peaky in terms of its powerband I found.

It is now owned by another collector and that is another story.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Some More Quincy Loopers Mounted On Raceboats 1981 and 1992

Guess which years these Quincy powered raceboats fit into what years.

*(1 pic) G71 (Minnesota) Was the first time I ever seen a Quincy Flathead 6 banger hung on a tunnel boat for a sit down ride. After igniton problems were sorted out she went to qualify herself as a probationary entry. What the outcome was I don't know but you might want to call it the precerser to the hydrocat which became very popular in Alky Pro Classes in Europe in the past decade.

*(2 pics) Does anyone remember this racer standing beside his Chaparral C Alky hydro powered by a Quincy Flathead Looper C - 4 cylinder he and is son used to campaign in the Wisconsin area?

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default G-71

The G-71 I remember is Wayne Walgrave from LaVerne, Minnesota. A real fine and fierce competitor. Is that his dad? Been too long.

Thread Information