Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trailer tires

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer tires

We have a bunch of trailers. Miller flat deck (low boy type), enclosed Wells Cargo, and some off brand utility trailers.

Seems every one that uses those torsion axle pieces of junk, ( all the spring axle trailers do not get this wear) ends up wearing tires like in these pictures. Now, the people at Dexter (the axel manufacturer) have never seen anything like this....Did I check my air pressure, did I this did I that.... Frankly, I've heard the same lines of dance around the issue from Kawasaki, John Deere, Briggs and Stratton, and Scag power equipment. The internet stops that stuff cold, so, i asking you guys...What do you think is causing this?

The rear axles of all our torsion axle tandem trailers get the same wear, sometimes with less than 10000 miles, they are on local routes
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

I have never seen that pattern on a properly inflated tire, only under inflated. Possibly over loaded for inflation.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

It darn near looks like a car that is toed in doesn't it Sam?

I'm running 35lbs or air. The total load on the trailer and I'm talking boat trailer are a couple hundred pounds of motors, another hundred pounds of propps, tools, and gear, another 100 pounds of boat and some miscellanious stuff. Max lood on the trailer is 2000 lbs. The only thing on this one i can say can get goofy is the trailer angle. Sometimes, the ball is a couple inches higher than what would make the frame parralel to the road, so te rake would be higher at the tongue.

But then add the tandem trailers, correct load, running 45 lbs of air on different tires....Same wear pattern happens on the rear axles in a very short amount of milage.
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

No, it doesn't look like a toe problem. Toe wears only on one side. I see symmetrical wear, typical of over loading or under inflating. Are you certain the tires are really rated for the weight they are carrying?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default tar ware -as fast fred mite say

You said it's LOCAL use . i think that means a lot of sharp turns that a highway rig would not necessarily get.Dual axles SKID tires in turns . That may be (or maybe not ) yer problemo ! ?

Post Thanks / Like

The boat trailer is going 200 miles plus for every race, and short run for practice. The bigger trailers are local, and do turn more. But, the same goes for the trailers suspended by springs. The spring trailers back wheels have flat even wear across them just as you expect when tight turns are made. The rear of the torsion axle trailers look just like the ones on this single axle rig.

I can see what Sam is saying, if the pressure was low, the edges would wear and the centers would wear less, kind of like here....But, that does not explain the cupping and the almost saw cut appearance of the rubber treads.

And why is this occuring with the torsion suspension and not the spring suspension?

I tried to theorize this to the people at Dexter in suggestiing that when the wheels hit bumps, they are not flexing in a straight line and comming back immediately to where they are supposed to be riding...The people at Dexter said no way. One guy even suggested the trailer brakes were bad....One problem with that...No brakes on the single axle trailer....
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tire wear

I would check the alignment on the axle ends. (The torsion spring ends with the axle.
    It seems like that is the wear pattern are trailer was having when it was wearing tires out very quickly (20,000 miles or so) until the cords popped through and they blew.

The torsion spring axles tend to get bent over time (bumps/potholes) evidently at a untrue angle in comparison to the axle itself where it bolts on to the trailer.
    Which makes that funny where pattern, as the torsion part of the axle goes up and down the angle is all over the place in relationship to what is straight with the main axle and the trailer.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default toe in -toe out

yes, now that you mention alignment- My welding truck ; a Ford F-350's front tires were wearing like that . i checked the toe in - out - it was 5/16" OUT of specks !

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

"cupping" thats what ya gots there

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

the top of the wheel leans out at the top (to far) so the force is on the outside edge of the tire. did you stuff the curb?

Thread Information