Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trailer tires

Post Thanks / Like

Over 10 years, I'm sure a few curbs got biffed here and there. But the culprrit seems to be pointing at the torsion axles and the way they flex, along with out of alignment stuff.

Stuff like that just tends to drive me nuts, and, is expensive to fix. I guess you could look at a pair of tires at say $250 bucks, and if they lasted 2 seasons, VS $1,000 for a new axle and then ask how long we stay in this trailer...I'm kind of nosing around for a 24' toy hauler so we got lodging as well....

I dunno....Not making much sense with this cupping issue. Thanks for all the input thus far
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default tires

[QUOTE=Fast Fred;69948]the top of the wheel leans out at the top (to far) so the force is on the outside edge of the tire. did you stuff the curb?:cool..........................................
    .................................................. .................................................. ..................................
    .................................................. .................................................. ..................................
    No, the alignment was out ,when i bought it USED. But, the trucking co. i bought it from had put NEW tires on it when they put it up for sale , so the tires went out at 8,000 miles.

Post Thanks / Like

there appear to be many things askew here. if this was a car that came into the dealership, i would assume it was a front engine transaxle car. weight on rear tires is lite. under inflation or too much load for what tires are rated. lack of tire balance also cause scalloping on tires. also i would check to see if axle is square. you are scrubbing outer edges off. combine with too much weight or not enough psi can also give you this wear.
    just my 2 cents

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

what he said, and this
    check to see if axle is square.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, I have seen torsion axles tow out during braking. Maybe yours are worn to the point that they tow in and out when making a turn.

Post Thanks / Like

are both sides wearing the same, or just this side?
    Sean Byrne
    69R 169R

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Are they bias ply tires? I changed my old boat trailer to radials and it towed better and didnt wear out the tires like the bais plys did. Maybe have them balanced to if they are out of balance enough they could be bouncing down the road at highway speeds.

Post Thanks / Like

It was about $350.00 to do the three axles on our trailer.
    They heated them up and straightened them all out. I was surprised at how inexpensive it was to do considering what they were doing.
    I think the key is to find someone who does trailer axles allot. They are quicker at it and will do a better job. The guys that don't do it much demand a premium because they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post

Stuff like that just tends to drive me nuts, and, is expensive to fix. I guess you could look at a pair of tires at say $250 bucks, and if they lasted 2 seasons, VS $1,000 for a new axle and then ask how long we stay in this trailer...I'm kind of nosing around for a 24' toy hauler so we got lodging as well....

Post Thanks / Like

Tires are radials, Carlisles I believe. $350 for an alignment sounds pretty good, actually. But next time, I'm telling them to leave the rubber band suspension in the trash can and get springs....

I can start playing with tire pressure to see if it makes a difference, but then the trailer ride goes away and the centers of the tires wear out. What was really weird, is they seemd like they were doing Ok...Then when i looked one day, there it was. Both sides are the same.
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

bill boyes

I had tire wear like that. Tires were only about 2 years old. Maked 4 or 5 hauls to region 10 races. Took the the trailer to a local tire guy as the tires are an odd ball size. He tells me they are under inflated. I said they are at 35 lbs. He says 50 psi. WHAT!!!! 50 psi. Yes he says. So I bought these tube fill valve gauges with a green band and red band. Tire wear is a LOT better.

Thread Information