Page 1 of 19 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: How Fast Will A Quincy 6 Go ?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How Fast Will A Quincy 6 Go ?

I only recently found and read with great interest and respect the thread titled "How Fast Will AQuincy Flathead 6 go"

Has anyone found the answer yet ? I have been accused of having a small brain before.......

At any rate having seen the pics of J Dub's six on the back of that capsule boat made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I can't wait to hear about it once they get the project into full swing. To see it run in competition would simply be over the top.

Next, is there a location large enough to find out how fast that six will go on a kneeler ?

I am in no means with this thread saying I have the equipment to try it. I never have had the pleasure of feeling the rush of a true Quincy six. Someday I hope to con someone for a ride in a piece of history.

Dave
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-30-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as I get a couple other projects completed, I will get back to the Looper project. I just need gotta get up to dads and trade some rods with him so I have all 6 rods of the same weight. Pistons are coated, balanced and ready. The crank is balanced, and all new bearings are ready to go.

Some assembly required....

J-Dub

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A Little Help If Needed??

J Dub:

I for one, as well as many others, think the sound of a Flathead SIX is one of the most wonderful "wails" that ever was, and I, and I am sure there are many others in the BRF community, are waiting anxiously for you to get the engine completed so you can make this attempt at either a new Kilo record or at least determining just how fast with modern boat/prop technology a Looper SIX can go.

I would like to make the following offer if you are willing to accept or it would be helpful or needed in making this project come to pass. I will donate 50.00 to the financial benefit of this effort and would encourage everyone else interested in the project to do the same, to a larger or lesser amount, whatever the individual feels they can do. I am sure you would not have taken it on without confidence in your financial capabilities to bring it off, but I would like to help, as I am sure many others would. All I need is an adress to send my donation to. If for whatever reason the attempt would not come off the funds could be returned if the donor wished. That could be between you and the donor. In my case the donation would have no strings attached, as long as it was used for the attempt with the Looper SIX.

There is one kicker though, I would request that everyone who makes a donation to this effort receive a video of some type showng the attempt, successful or not, if for no other reason to hear that sweet music again, that "wail" that has not been heard for so long in anger.

Let us know your thoughts on the offer.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default i'm in

j dub,

i'm with bill where do i send my 50.

frank

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good to me too
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Me toooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default six salamander QUINCY

yoose gys can yap about the sound the the looper 6 , i have not heard one. So - until I do , I'll repeat that those of you who never heard the Hendricks boys - back in the late 50's - coming back to the Stockton Rod & gun club , at full song -with 2 Mk58's on a powercat
    catamaran , with each sporting a quincy 4 pipe megaphone system, WOW ! you could hear them from miles away , before they arrived. The race was Stockton to Colusa and back , one way Saturday ,Sunday ,come back to Stockton. Mind you, this was the Sacramento River . Much sweeter sound than the big 100 inch Mercs that ran stacks at Havasu world championships . Those raspy things hurt my ears .

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I am with BIll

J-Dub,
    Count me in Bill for 50 as well. Just say where to send it.

I want to call it running on the capsule at Depue!!!!

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Hodges View Post
    yoose gys can yap about the sound the the looper 6 , i have not heard one. So - until I do , I'll repeat that those of you who never heard the Hendricks boys - back in the late 50's - coming back to the Stockton Rod & gun club , at full song -with 2 Mk58's on a powercat
    catamaran , with each sporting a quincy 4 pipe megaphone system, WOW ! you could hear them from miles away , before they arrived. The race was Stockton to Colusa and back , one way Saturday ,Sunday ,come back to Stockton. Mind you, this was the Sacramento River . Much sweeter sound than the big 100 inch Mercs that ran stacks at Havasu world championships . Those raspy things hurt my ears .
    Pipes on twin 4 bangers DO sound good, but until you've heard a 6-Looper,
    "You ain't heard nuthin yet"!

Oh yeah, pipes on the big 6 cyl. Mercs. don't sound near as sweet.

Would anyone be surprised if I told you Quincy Welding made those pipes as a vendor for Mercury?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pipes

Gene, I heard back in the day that Quincy made those pipes for Mercury. You are the only person I ever heard say that they did sence then. I have always wanted to ask that queston but did not, thanks for the Info. There were a lot of them run on V bottoms around here after Mercury stopped running them.

Thread Information