Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: How Fast Will A Quincy 6 Go ?

Post Thanks / Like

I was under the impression the standpipe height was.930 in. The one Jim gave me was
    .800 in. It will show J-Dub the radius on the tube that no-one has mentioned to this point.

Frank you are correct, we ran the same carbs on the "44" as on the "D".

Sam, I like the pump idea you talked about.

Don't you just love the fact that even some of the staunchest Konig people are pulling for the success of this project.

Too bad the opposing factions in our goverment can't see past their own egos for the common good!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gene...are you a mind reader? When you said Frank was correct....and then you told Sam you liked his idea..............I was thinking....Man.....this project is going to be awesome. J-Dub has people all across America rooting for this project and will send him anything to make it go. I was thinking that I wish I had something to help with, but I am a Konig guy!

You are right on Gene! Go J-Dub....Konig guys love that sound too. And we wish you the utmost success. I just wish I could be there with my camera. Not just for the runs, but to record all that you have to do for preparation. Pits. People.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    I was under the impression the standpipe height was.930 in. The one Jim gave me was
    .800 in. It will show J-Dub the radius on the tube that no-one has mentioned to this point.
    Gene, I can't recall if there was a difference between FA and FB standpipe height. I know the (brass) dump tube height (in throat of carb) is somewhat critical. In both the FA/FB, the top of the dump tube was moved below the center of the bore to compensate for the rise of the fuel as it entered the air stream. Running the dump tube height at the center of the bore resulted in the bottom cylinder in each cylinder pair running much leaner than the top cylinder. I suppose someone with an original carb setup on an FB, FD, or 44 could provide the correct measurement--assuming that they have the correct carbs.

Yes, it's great to see people kicking in on this project. It's like "Back To The Future" with the volume turned to "11".

Frank V.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Carter N for alky

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Volker View Post
    Gene,
    I seem to recall the following about the mods to the Model N:
    1. The throat was reamed -- FB was larger dia than the FA, but I don't recall diameters.
    2. The high-speed dump tube height was different on FB and FA. I think the FA was 9/16" and the FB was 1/2".

I believe the F44 ran the same carb as the FD, but not positive.
    Jim can no doubt give better numbers on this.

Frank V.
    If I remember correctly, the A/C venturi was 1 1/16" whereas the B/D was 1 1/8". Not sure on the 2 cylinder 44 but the 6 cylinder 60 c.i.. would, I think, follow suit of the B-D of 1 1/8".

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Carter carbs

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Volker View Post
    Gene, I can't recall if there was a difference between FA and FB standpipe height. I know the (brass) dump tube height (in throat of carb) is somewhat critical. In both the FA/FB, the top of the dump tube was moved below the center of the bore to compensate for the rise of the fuel as it entered the air stream. Running the dump tube height at the center of the bore resulted in the bottom cylinder in each cylinder pair running much leaner than the top cylinder. I suppose someone with an original carb setup on an FB, FD, or 44 could provide the correct measurement--assuming that they have the correct carbs.

Yes, it's great to see people kicking in on this project. It's like "Back To The Future" with the volume turned to "11".

Frank V.
    Also, on my carbs that Dick O'Dea modified, for mt B's & my C, the back side of the main nozzles/dump tubes were taperd somewhat to elininate the possibility of the rush of air through the venturi didn't cut off the fule flow, or at least not hinder the flow in any way.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just to be sure......

I'd contact Frank Novotny and ask him to measure what he has. He has A's through 44 F's so he could measure the diamaters and lengths for you.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Standpipes

I have used floatless carbs on our Mod yamatos & 44 merc`s in NBRA racing with great success. Make the stand pipe slightly longer than what you think you need. Easy enough job to cut down if needed than to make a longer one. Make sure your outlet fitting is at least as large as the inlet and the hoses angle downward to the top of the tank. It is really quite simple to do. And will eliminate a lot of problems with those old Carters. If it were me I would consider a newer more modern carb system.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Regards the several comments about using more modern carbs on the Flathead 6:

IMHO when you have an engine with this history of possibly the meanest sound EVER to hit the race course ANYWHERE, and you are at the place where you are in the project that J-Dub has indicated, I think the absolute worst thing you could try to do would be to try to re-invent the wheel.

The floatless Carters were run very successfully on all classes of Flatheads, from A thru F, and with just the information already posted, it looks to be a very minor part of the project (making the Carters work) because of all the technical knowledge from former Flathead owners, drivers, and most of all folks who built the engines and are still available to give technical advise regards them such as Jim Schoch, Dick Austin, Gene East, the two Franks's, etc., etc., etc.

Why take a chance on burning down or sticking an engine that possibly pistons are in very short supply for, when there are still carbs out there to be looked at, copied, and tech advise is very plentiful for.

Unless Wayne Walgrave is still around to help with the carb part of the project, based on the way he always ran, it would seem to be the best way to go

I do not know J-Dub, but it would seem to me that someone who has accomplished what he has in boat racing to this point, would see the wealth of knowledge and offers to help that are out there and available, and the choice would be a no brainer.

And more than anything if the Carter floatless are used, whatever speed was attained would answer the original question more completely, with the engine in the original configuration the way it was run 40 years ago, which is, HOW FAST WILL A FLATHEAD SIX GO?

Whatever decision is made, it certainly is his to make, but for all the above reasons, cost, time wise, experience with them, ease of adjustment etc., the Carter floatless with all the information about them available, just seems to make good sense.

Whatever happens, I hope the project is brought to completion, because as Wayne mentioned, there are lots of folks waiting with much anticipation.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Rick Fales has his fathers 6 looper. Last conversation was it was in pieces. May try to contact either Rick or Steve to see if the carbs are there and can give you some dimensions for the stand off tube. Bill's was one of the most powerfull if not the most powerfull 6 looper in its time. All the comments in this thread are all accurate. Floatless Carters are almost fool proof. Please keep all of us informed on the progress......Bob N-96
    Bob Rusnak

Post Thanks / Like

Remember that there is a difference between and looper carb and a deflector carb. The loop carb has a fix jet drill into the tower.

Thread Information