Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: How Fast Will A Quincy 6 Go ?

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!!!!! What a compliment! Thanks guys! That be a no can do... In the event you guys are dying to make a racing donation I recommend the Hydroplane Museum or the APBA Historical Society. Both organizations are a big help to ALL of boat racing.
    Financially, the engine is about complete. But THANK YOU! The missing link I need is a Bass Over/Under unit which I have ordered. I planned to run the 17:16 gear (1.06%) with a new Dewald 7 3/4" X 15" four blade. Craig made this special for the Looper Project and he even named the prop Big Bertha.

Here are the calculations I had for the Hydro. I have the engine speed a little low so I can try to keep the rods snuggled in nice inside the crankcase. There is a REALLY smart guy in California (We'll call him Rich) that says it should turn 9600 or more... Do the math...

The Runabout should be about a .83 or .85 prop slip at top end.

Manufacturer
    Engine RPM Six Looper 9,200
    Gear Ratio Bass 17 16 1.0625
    Prop RPM 9775
    Prop Pitch 15
    Prop Diameter 7.75
    Tip Speed 9911.442708
    Boat Speed 138.8494318
    Prop Slip 0.9
    Corrected Boat Speed 124.9644886

J-Dub
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks J Dub

Once he completes the run on the capsule, anyone want to attempt it in a kneeler ? I would be curious with todays slightly more modern designs, how fast could she go for a person with a small brain and big something else. I dunno if I would even have the intestinal fortitude to see how fast it would go on the back of an era boat.

I am betting this engine could easily surpass 130MPH with some set up work and prop work. That is one thing that has devloped at a much faster rate than any hydros.

Man, this has the hair on the back of my neck standing up thinking about it. There is a place in a hydro that few have ever found. That place is when all is quiet, even with a six on the back. When you reach that spot, you will know what I mean. If you have to ask if I mean death, you have not been to that spot.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked Bill Van's idea. I was just about to go out and by gummed labels and see what kind of sponsorship decals I could make for all the ones of us that wanted to contribute. Oh well....you know J Dub, that there are a lot of us out here that are wishing for and believing in some great success with your project. And we look forward to updates.

David...that spot you are talking about is more than just quiet. It's kind of an erie calm that overcomes the noise of a motor and you can hear different and quieter sounds you never heard before...like the high pitched whine of the drive line and lower unit components, then maybe like in my case you silently wonder in peace....how long can THAT go on?

Post Thanks / Like

Default You mean this Spot?

This may be "The Spot" you are refering to. Not to be confused with "The Spot" in the avtar pic...
    Both are very quiet....

J-Dub
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Right on both counts.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Maybe

J Dub, that might be the spot, but only you can be the judge. I have never been in a capsule pro hydro, so it might be different that an open air cockpit. I imagine you could hear the sound of the wind and water over anything else in that run. It is the spot you can hear your own breathing, every sense is on overdrive, you don't need to worry about looking at any speedo, you know you are moving. I am betting you know the spot I speak of.

At any rate, I beleive you might find the spot again if you put that sweet six on the back of a large FEH ! Have you named the engine yet ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looper Six Project

Hows it going J Dub? Any news to share?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bring it to DePue

That capsule with the Quincy 6 needs to run on Lake DePue. Howard was always a favorite there and that motor on his old boat would be a huge hit. About the only other old motor that runs there is the one Fucshlin brings for the 1100 runabout and that is always a bit hit - not to mention competitive if he starts out front.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Detroit, running for the Gold Cup this weekend. As fo rthe Quincy... it has gotten to be less of a priority... We hope to run it on Howards DeSilva in September at Moses Lake. We have everything for it, and the crank assembly is completed except for hanging the pistons on the rods. I do need to get a couple of the elbows without the little divider in them which Ken (The Owner) does have at his place.

J-Dub

Post Thanks / Like

Default DePue

Pro Nationals are July 30 - Aug 1 in DePue. Any chance of making it J-Dub ?

Thread Information