Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: How Fast Will A Quincy 6 Go ?

Judge 70
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How fast could the F Loop go?

I ran one of Wayne Walgrave's 11'6" hulls with a Mark 55H back in the day. Wayne is a good friend and we spent a lot of time together back then. We went to the world finals back in the fall of '71 I believe in Louisiana, where someone clocked Wayne at 135 mph in practice! We had so much trouble keeping shear pins in the prop shaft that Wayne made connection with someone from the local air base who brought him some "aircraft" bolts which finally solved that problem. We had the fastest rig on the lake at the time, but were defeated by hitting an aligator milling before the race, and tore off half the propeller! This was a bit disconcerting as we were told there were hardly any fish in that lake and were swimming in it the day before. The guys from Texas stood on the bank and said, "Where'd Y'all say you were from?" They figured it was way to late in the year to swim. Wayn'es boats were from a design concocted by a fighter pilot who designed them to be a stable aerodynamic platform with no lift coming from the flat deck, and the wedge nose keeping them firm in the air. I used to fly mine about an inch off the water riding on my re-shaped gear box, and there were no D Mods that could beat it. We raced with Midwest Power Boat Assoc. out of Minneapolis, MN where I could step down a class with my stocker, and run with the C Pros. I actually won a race at Minnominee, WI. Ran it wide open, never backed off for the corners! Controlled it all with body english. What a ride! Wayne's six was an animal! People would stand behind us on the shore because it was so wicked looking, and wouldn't pay attention when we told them they should move. After we'd light the fire, you should have seen them run! If you'd like any more info, I can tell some stories. Hope this goes well, it's my first time using one of these forums.

Post Thanks / Like

Default J-Dub

Just saw the Gold Cub accident. Hope everything comes out ok .

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 135 mph ???

I saw Wayne Walgrave race quite a few times in the late 60/early 70's time frame, and no doubt he had very good engines and boats that performed very well. In addition he was a very good driver. I saw his 6 looper run quite a few times in competition, but don't remember him ever running any Kilo's, at least when I was attending races where he was..

All that being said, I also witnessed Jerry Waldman's 114 MPH or so Kilo run at Alexandria La.with a "D" looper, and also saw Jerry Peterson's Kilo run with a 6 Looper like Walgrave's that set a new record at "F" record at 107 MPH. I believe those two runs were the same day, but without digging a little I wont swear to it in writing. Based on those experiences and having attended quite a few Kilo trials including the one where Dan Kirts set the at the time 500 Hydro Kilo record that included a pass at 127 MPH quite a few years later than the time frame Wayne Walgrave raced,, I would have a hard time accepting a 135 MPH speed by ANY outboard on a Hydro of that day and time, as boat design of the time, and course length at Alex just probably would not allow it. 110 to 115 maybe, but anything higher I would have to see the timers on a measured course.

In no way do I mean to take anything away from Wayne's accomplishments, as I pointed out in the first paragraph of this post, but somebody was either pulling somebody's leg, or had a VERY optimistic stopwatch.. This is my opinion of course, and others are welcome to theirs also.

Post Thanks / Like

Hell yeah I will be there! But with my foot broken in so many places, the only thing I will driving is the motorhome...

J-Dub

Allen J. Lang

After watching a video of you coming out of the third turn and heading straight for the pit area, your turn towards the right saved a big problem. Someone on faceboook posted a picture of your turn fin just about flat on the water. An amazing close up. Was glad to read you came out so well.
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Haviland View Post
    I ran one of Wayne Walgrave's 11'6" hulls with a Mark 55H back in the day. Wayne is a good friend and we spent a lot of time together back then. We went to the world finals back in the fall of '71 I believe in Louisiana, where someone clocked Wayne at 135 mph in practice! We had so much trouble keeping shear pins in the prop shaft that Wayne made connection with someone from the local air base who brought him some "aircraft" bolts which finally solved that problem. We had the fastest rig on the lake at the time, but were defeated by hitting an aligator milling before the race, and tore off half the propeller! This was a bit disconcerting as we were told there were hardly any fish in that lake and were swimming in it the day before. The guys from Texas stood on the bank and said, "Where'd Y'all say you were from?" They figured it was way to late in the year to swim. Wayn'es boats were from a design concocted by a fighter pilot who designed them to be a stable aerodynamic platform with no lift coming from the flat deck, and the wedge nose keeping them firm in the air. I used to fly mine about an inch off the water riding on my re-shaped gear box, and there were no D Mods that could beat it. We raced with Midwest Power Boat Assoc. out of Minneapolis, MN where I could step down a class with my stocker, and run with the C Pros. I actually won a race at Minnominee, WI. Ran it wide open, never backed off for the corners! Controlled it all with body english. What a ride! Wayne's six was an animal! People would stand behind us on the shore because it was so wicked looking, and wouldn't pay attention when we told them they should move. After we'd light the fire, you should have seen them run! If you'd like any more info, I can tell some stories. Hope this goes well, it's my first time using one of these forums.
    Richard,

Like Bill Van I have great respect for Wayne Walgrave. I even rode second man with him in F-Runabout at the Nationals one year, but I don't believe Wayne was ever OFFICIALLY clocked at 135 MPH, nor did you imply that it was an official run. There is no denying that Wayne's F was extremely fast!

I remember Wayne telling me about hitting the gator at Alexandria. Unfortunately he told me about it at Hot Springs just shortly after Gerry Waldman died.

Wayne had not yet learned of Gerry's death when he said (referring to the gator) "dead as a doornail". Wayne could get loud when excited and several people overheard that comment and were a little shocked, myself included

All of us have said things without realizing we may have hurt others with our innocent comments.

Wayne was quite embarrassed that day. I felt so sorry for him, but everyone knew how much he respected Gerry and accepted the comment for what it was, an innocent unfortunate choice of words at a very delicate time.

God, I wish we could erase the painful memories of that day.

Post Thanks / Like

Default a dumb question ?????

Hey J-Dub , As my user name says I am a fan and never raced before so excuse me if this seems like a dumb question. I was wondering if your expierence of going thru the kilos helped you turn the unlimited during the mishap. I know you remove the turning fins and mirrors to get the most speed when running the kilos and you have to turn the boat around for the return pass. I know the boats are very different and probably didnt have alot of time think , but just react !!!!!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope it went well with you Richard. We would like to hear more of your stories. There are a lot of champion racers that came out of the Midwest Power Boat Association, and even if some of the guys don''t have plaques on the wall, they are still first rate boat racers. A lot of my friends both from the past and current raced that circuit. Stir up the cobwebs and crank out some more stories. You did good jumping in here to post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Haviland View Post
    I have watched this thread with interest and thought that having been an individual that has run both the 6 deflecter and looper in competion and straight-a-way, it was time to add a comment.
    First to set the record straight on F Straight-a-way records. As far as reconized by the NOA, Waldman had set a record of 106+ in 1964 after recieving the R-22 from Entroup. In 1965 at Sandford Lake Mi. Waldman sponsered a straight-a-way day. I had a McDonald at that time and Jerry has ask me to run AC plugs for the attempts as he new that I was running close. Instead I blew a gear case.
    In 1966 after wing both the APBA and NOA F Hydro Classes, I finaly broke Jerrys record with a 107+ speed. I had made a one way pass at 109.5 during the 4 or 5 attemps made that day before breaking the record.
    1967 I ran the Looper of the same boat which ran strong and struggled with breaking reed cages and crankshafts. Had a few good rides but was a bad season.
    In 1968 peterson broke my record at Alex at 108+. Is was supprised that he was only able to muster 108. with a Looper.
    Now how fast will a 6 Looper go. From my experiense, I do not believe that a 6 Looper will exceed 120. The motor will not turn a overdrive unit any better than just prop increase in pitch. The fact that Entroup had pust the UMI record sponsered by Mercuy back in the
    50's to 115 with a deflector sets the stage. The Looper had much more acceleration than the deflector but the deflector would run on top end given enough room. The water drag, air drag and power requirements all increase by the square of the number as speed increases. It will tke a hull that lifts and flies on a bubble like the capovers and planes on the gearcaseand very small frontal area to reach the 120 mark. I fin the 114 make of Jerrys with the D an amassing feat and reinforces the potentional speed of the 6.
    Attached are pics of M-21 on the record run in 1966 and of a record attempt in 1967 of M-14 by John Mc Mullen with Looper that ended with a blow-over.
    Prove me wrong and I will congradulate you.
    I added a couple more pics Pop Smiht doing engine inspection, His comment after the run was "It never touched the water, I have never seen anything run like that". and Jerry coming out to congradulate me after breaking his record. A prince of a men.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

I can't think of anyone more qualified to speak on this subject than Dick Austin.

120 mph max?

I hope he's wrong, but we may never know for sure.

I know one thing for certain, the 6 looper was a crowd pleaser and the racers in the pits usually stopped what they were doing to watch and listen when the 6 bangers were running.

There is no sweeter sound in all racing!

Thread Information