Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: How Fast Will A Quincy 6 Go ?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. It will be interesting to see if Dick is 100% correct. I suspect he will be and it will be interesting to see the outcome either way.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Doesn't Matter!!

I personly don't care 1 iota as 5mph. one way or the other is real hard to see from the shore, it was a time when a lot of things were made in the U.S.A.
    Not so any more for better or worse , worse i think.

Allen J. Lang

Bill Fales ran over the century mark with his 6 Looper on a 14' DeSilva before he blew it over on the return trip breaking his back. Was any one there when this happened. It was a NOA timed run.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Allen J. Lang View Post
    Bill Fales ran over the century mark with his 6 Looper on a 14' DeSilva before he blew it over on the return trip breaking his back. Was any one there when this happened. It was a NOA timed run.
    Burlington, North Carolina. It was dawn and I was asleep in the camper. When I heard that eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sound. I got up and started putting on my clothes so I could go watch. Then it went eeeeeeek. And silence. It took a long long time to get Bill to shore. That is all I remember.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

For those of us who have been there..........you told it perfectly Tim. You could be sitting inside your tent drinking coffee and here the sound you told about....and know exactly what happened. Then you get worried.

Allen J. Lang

Thanks for the update Tim. Bill didn't tell me where he was running. He did say that that was his last ride alone.
    With todays props, what would a FRR looper run through the traps now?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Have to chime in on this one.........

I think, having the only limits being ability and set-up, and knowing what an anilmal a 6 banger flathead is.............the question really is "How fast do you want to go?"
    Charley Bradley

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Allen J. Lang View Post
    Thanks for the update Tim. Bill didn't tell me where he was running. He did say that that was his last ride alone.
    With todays props, what would a FRR looper run through the traps now?
    I have the utmost respect and admiration for the men who rode the original FRRs, with Mssrs Fuchslin, Fales, and Anderson enjoying superstar status, not to forget their deck riders. My question for those in the know: in race-ready form, what would typically have been the hp and rpm of an F looper vs the performance figures of a highly modded Merc counterpart, and what fuel mix was typically run?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looper HP vs Deflector HP

The Alky B Quincy Merc Deflector was at the end of the road in terms of sustainability due to the Deflector's piston at 39.5 HP.

The reason we went to the Looper, besides the obvious need for more power in racing competition, was because the Deflector piston dome, at 39.5 HP with a 2.500 bore, would literally melt completely off the piston. My father told me stories about how everything was fine when the racers went into the turns at high speed, only to come out of the turns with obviously significant power loss, which later was discovered to be caused by dome meltdown.

So a 60 inch early Alky Quincy Mod Deflector should have been, or would have been, 39.5 times 3 = 118.5 HP at 7800 RPMs.

In dynoing a 22 CI, 2 cylinder Alky Quincy Merc full house Deflector, I saw HP in the low 40's, maybe 42 or 43, before the dome said "see ya." So a 66 inch Alky Quincy Merc Deflector should be about 3 times 43 = 129 HP at 7500 to 7800 RPMs.

The early technology B Alky Looper put out 50 HP x 3 = 150 HP at 9000 RPMs for a 60 CI
    6 cylinder Looper.

The latest technology B Alky Looper put out 65 HP at 9500 RPMs, 65 x 3 = 195 HP for a 60 CI Looper.

The early technology for a 66 CI Alky Looper was 180 HP at 9000 RPMs. The latest technology at the time for this motor was 225 HP at 10,000 RPMs.

These figures are based on my firsthand observation and engine development on the Quincy dyno for over 8 years and over 1000 Quincy Welding/ Precision Machine shop dyno cards as a reference.

The biggest problems I see with attempting a late kilo record with a 6 cylinder Alky Looper is:
    #1 - the motor's massive height is a difficult aerodynamic deterrent to overcome and
    #2 - finding a lower unit that has the R dimension center section (like the D Konig) that can withstand the brutal torque the engine produces. A Konig D unit absolutely will not live under the torque of this engine. The Speedmaster can withstand the torque but it has far too much drag for the kind of speeds the HP of the engine is capable of producing.

I know various people that are working to solve these problems and time will tell how well they succeed.

Thank you for your interest.

Paul A Christner

Post Thanks / Like

Paul, can you post some of those dyno cards for 6's showing 100+ hp for deflectors?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thread Information