Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somebody said: I do..??

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Somebody said: I do..??

Ok Boys;
    I have problems with a boat with 2.- 150 EFI MERCS 2002 port, 2003 stbd.
    port engine doesnīt go more than 4K rpms, without triggering low oil reservoir alarm (small engine tank) and "engine guardian" drops engine speed.
    Both engines are consuming oil, the exact rate, I ran the boat about 4 hours @ 3,500 (almost) rpm with no alarm (any) except fault trim, on both, since new, but I dont care about that, both tanks engine and boat had plenty of oil, no cracked caps, loose hoses, no loose magnet in reservoir, both harnesses were checked, no fried wires or broken, I did reset "Smartcraft gauges", and reprogramed every one, (port, station 1) left tach, (stbd, station 1) right tach, and speedometer, checked end caps on junction boxes, (one is missing @ console box), Obvious I asked "Mercury Marine de Mexico" for help, and the only thing I had by e-mail, was a wire diagram for non efi
    V-6
    Does anybody knows or have an idea what the hell is going on with that engine?, a Brave one...??

Thanks in advance

Carlos Mayo

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

kink in the line, seen dead bugs clog the line. switch lines see if it moves to the other motor.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wrong type of fuel line??
    Pat Bowman had a hell of a time finding out why his EFI would starve for fuel periodicaly. Turned out that the wall strength of the fuel line was not strong enough!! When the motor demanded more fuel and the fuel pump strugled to draw fuel, the line colapsed, restricting the flow. It was kinda like trying to drink a very thick milkshake through a soda straw!!
    Anyway, proper fuel line, line designed for EFI, problem solved!!!

Bunker

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fast Brave

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Fred View Post
    kink in the line, seen dead bugs clog the line. switch lines see if it moves to the other motor.
    Will do it right away, Gracias Mi Amigo Fast Fred..

Post Thanks / Like

until now, no problems with fuel, both motors are around 20 hours after break in, I sold that boat in 2004, first owner used 3 times in fresh water, then sold it to another who launched the boat 1 (one) time for a 30 minutes run doing slow passes in front of Marinaīs ramp thatīs it... all of the time that boat was on the trailer collecting dust..
    Now..a new Younger buyer is buzzing around, who have a house at the coast line,
    So I guess this boat itīs going to get some Gulf of Mexico action..very soon..
    Gracias Bunker, will check fuel lines anyway..
    PS: If I can get rid of the alarm...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you will find the problem quickly by switching the oil injection components between the engines. What controls the alarm? Is it in the EFI ECU? If so, exchange those also. Only swap one item at a time till you find the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Swap

I did swap ECMīs and reprogramed location, then the gauges, cleaned oil lines, past saturday went to test the boat, and found both fuel lines (mercury grey color) completly degraded, so I couldnt run the boat as expected, both oil monitors are showing 94% oil reserve, and going down normal, just started engines on trailer, and did a 15 minutes rpmīs test, Iīm going to change with other kind of Hi pressure hi quality fuel hoses, will see tomorrow,
    Thanks Fyreman

PS:thanks Bunker for the clue

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel lines are a bummer, as Bunker stated I had a weird problem and changing all the lines was the ticket. Maybe not with you but it made me run 100% better. I froget who it was in the pits but someone said try the fuel lines and we all said no...then on inspection Chad hill found that one of the many fuel lines was a non presure or carb fuel hose. It was the one from the tank to the pump. Being the first boat I ever rigged I had no idea this also needed to be a high presure line.

Hope that helps a bit.

Pat

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Vacation hurry

Gracias Pat:
    Have to fix some "last minute" boats, prior Holy Week, and didnt even got close the mercs, I have new hoses, maybe in a day or two will have plenty of time to work them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default which motor?

are they 150EFI or 150 Optimax engines? By the way, you do not need high pressure fuel line on either motor from the fuel tank to the motor (inlet low pressure (lift) pump)........just good 3/8 coast guard approved fuel line............

I could tell you several things to look at, but need to know which engine type you have........
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Thread Information