Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021

Thread: Old Flattbottom and Jet boat pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Racer's Prayer" written by Conrad Murphy in 1980

Conrad sent this to me in Dec of 1994, shortly after my fathers kilo accident.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the mold for the 16'9" four strake hull they designed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Connolly View Post
    I've got the mold for the 16'9" four strake hull they designed.
    Conrad was quite the engineer for sure. Boat is more than likely really light eh? Any plans on getting the 4 straker wet?

Post Thanks / Like

I have the mold...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    No...You reminded me. First, after they took off the 135 and hung the V-6, it ran a strong 80 with a Second Effort gearcase. Scary, yes. The Super Sport could take 200 HP, however, the weight ratio limited it to 150 Mercs/140OMC's Had he kept the 135 and installed the Second Effort case, it would have been much more stable and probably as fast if not faster.

The gearcase was bought so he could get ahead of me with my 140/Super Sport of the same year. He spent $3,000 give or take to get 6 MPH. He then spent another $1,500 until he found a prop that could out run me. It was sold to you with no gearcase because of Fox Lake.

One August day, about 1986? after we decided to run under the Beer Can Bridge off Pistake Lake onto Fox Lake, he got to far off the channel heading to Blarney's Island. That prop and gearcase bullet was ripped off from the pinion gear down. We yanked him in, all the way to Algonquin at Treadwells and as I recall, it got very drunk out that night. My head hurt for a week. He never rebuilt the motor after that. About a year before the gearcase purchase, he went on his head at the Illinois River attempting to do the stupidest thing many are tempted to do....

Jump a 5' barge wake at about 70 or so. The boat did a perfect 360 plus 90, hit the transom the slapped the water and cracked pretty badly. He managed to stay in the seat during the entire affair. I knew the force he hit with knowing full well how David designed the Super Sport deck/bottoms and linked them with plywood for added strength. When the bottom pushed up, the deck center stressed....Let me guess...The center of the deck was all checked up, right?
    And the color green, was not Mexican green like on a Mopar muscle car, it was more like grass green metalic. The shot gun seat was held down with 4 lag bolts because the lock tabs the Switzers installed usually broke loose. We puit those bolts on the boat in my drvieway.

I can't remember, but I think that boat had a make shift foot throttle that used bungy cords for returns. I begged him to get rid of the hand throttle before he rigged that thing.

Anyhow, small world!
    There is a green SS17 similar to the one picture you mentioned for sale in the Wisconson area. It is supposed to have the name Footloose painted on the bow. Could it be one of the ones mentioned. Kind of doubt there were too many green SS17's made. Pictured is the one for sale.....I have nothing to do with it.

Post Thanks / Like

That is the EXACT MODEL !! But not the same boat..Looks like the windshield is on up side down!. lol Scoontz . You're on it.. !!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello! I've noticed some posts and pictures of Jay Ellington who drove Val Wheeler's K-751 "E.T." and I was wondering if anyone here knew him or has any more photos/information on his boat racing days? I saw one of you post that you had more pictures from Burley? This is his daughter.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat racing is Fraught with danger, like when a boat drives over the top of another.

Name:  Bow gash by Propeller.JPG
Views: 810
Size:  64.8 KB

Notice bent rudder in one of the 4 images.
    This is the aftermath of Ty Newton and Dave Bryant race boats colliding, at the San Diego Bay Fair 1999. The yellow-helmeted driver (in the attached photo) just ran over the top of the other race boat, turning the corner at the turn buoy.

These are still shot images that I took from the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQtDpR0ss_I

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I was wondering if you personally knew or know Jay Ellington, the driver of E.T.?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, did you post the pictures from the Burley event a year later with Jay Ellington? This is his daughter and I would love to see them. Thanks!

Thread Information