Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
Billy and I were racing hard, as I recall, and he was leading. At the Statue of Liberty turn, Billy barrow rolled. I slowed to see if he was OK, then headed for the pit turn, figuring I only had about 30 minutes left and Wallace and I would win. Just then, I broke a crank.

Now your point of leading at 5 1/2 hours could be valid, as Billy may have just passed you guys when he rolled. I was never credited with leading a lap, and Billy may not have been credited either.

I do recall, my wife saying she and Lynn Seebold hugged, when neither Billy and I returned on the next lap. My wife and Lynn we NOT really friends. Somewhere her eon BRF is a picture of Billy being towed in upside down, it was a red Molinari. And I was being towed in ahead of him in what I called "The Johnny Lightning" Schulz. Wallace drove the firs 1 1/2 hours, then never returned to the cockpit.
Actually Ron, I drove the 1st 2 hours & was 3rd Sotti was 1st Billy 2nd. After my stop Geoff took over & passed Billy. After a bit Scotti broke & we took over the lead until I broke at 5 1/2 hrs. I still think you are referring to 1972