Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Wild Geechee

Post Thanks / Like

Default Earl Bentz Brings Me UpmTo Date About The Wild Geechee 11/03/2015

Sent: Tuesday, November 3, 2015 11:00 AM
    Subject: RE: Bass Book

Hi Ron—Yes, “Jenks” was my uncle and not only introduced me to the marine business by being kind enough to give me a job at “Jenks Outboard” when I was 14 years old, but put me in my first race boat at 16. As you may know, he designed a boat called the “Wild Geechee” that was first driven by Bucky Morris and then he turned the reins over to me. The “Geechee” was far ahead of it’s time with it’s multistep tunnel hull and pickle fork design. We campaigned the “Geechee” all over the Southeast for many years, competing in several different classes, showing up with one boat and a U-Haul trailer full of engines. We would change engines between races starting with “stock” Sport “J” all the way up to “S” class, which were engines where anything goes. Uncle D.F.. or “Jenks” as he was more commonly called, was a genius when it came to getting horsepower out of an OMC power head, and more often than not, his horsepower that he was able to squeeze out of any engine he touched, paired with the “Geechee”, often embarrassed many of the “factory” rigs that we competed with. To say that we enjoyed tremendous success would be an understatement. When “Jenks” was not working on our race engines, he was “blueprinting” engines for other OMC engine owners from all over the world, who either raced or were competitive bass fishermen. It was during the early days of the performance bass boat boom. This was the part of his business that he allowed me to be very involved in and that led to my first introduction to performance bass boats, set up and engine modifications, which would prove to be the foundation for my career in boat manufacturing and a job with Hydra Sports in June of 1975.
    Our success with the “Wild Geechee” also opened the door for me to get a call from the folks at the famed Mercury Racing Team in 1973, joining the likes of racing legends Reggie Fountain and Billy Seebold. I was privileged to race for Mercury from 1973 until March of 1981, when I decided to hang it up in favor of pursuing a career in boat manufacturing on a full time basis. The “Geechee” today has been fully restored and resides on Johns Island, S.C. at the home of Brucie Robertson, son of the craftsman who built it originally, Bruce Robertson. I would venture to say that there are very few OPC class tunnel boats in history that can boast the success of the “Wild Geechee”. I am honored to have had the opportunity to drive it. EB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paris 6hr race 99cu class

Name:  PARIS  6HR SCHULZ 001.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  76.5 KBName:  PARIS 6 HR SCHULZ BOAT 001.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  82.3 KBName:  PARIS 6HR SHULZE 001.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  95.2 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    In 1968 there were 99.6ci "X-115" & "GT-115" models with separate model designations from the 89ci versions. I think Ron and Jimbo got the first ones to race.
    Check out the OMC engines at Paris I think Ron may know the drivers?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paris, France 1968: Six Hours of Paris

Most of the boats in the race were Vee Bottoms. ON was the top class, UIM Outboard N (99 cubic Inches). Schulz Hulls? I always said "Schultz". It has been so long I have forgotten who drove the 63 boat, but Dieter Schulz and someone named "CHRIS" drove together. Seems Dieter made it through the first hour and half, then Chris took over. He stuffed on about his first lap. Ted May started the race in #45, and I took over at an hour and half.

Barge traffic continued through the entire 6 hours. They left three feet tall wakes. The famous picture of Ted May standing straight up under the bridge was taken at this race.

OMC had four boats. Dewy Berghauer started the race but hit the pit turning buoy early and knocked a hole in the boat. They sank. I don't think any of us realized how much current was in the river. Dewy made what looked like a good turn, then next thing you know he's hit the buoy.

Tom and Mac McCune drove the fourth boat and second Johnson (All were equal: 2 Johnson, 2 Evinrudes, 4 Schulz Boats).

Ted and I ran ahead of the McCune's all day, I ran between the turn buoy and a barge on the pit turn and we neved got that lap. So, we ran second all day and got third.

We had run the 100 inchers at Parker in March, two on the Berghauer's Schulz, two on Ernie Thrikl's Switzer named "Black Coffin" and two on the DeSilva Wing that is on the cover of Ralph's book. Jimbo may have run a 100 incher at Parker on a Single engine, but I don't think so. I don't think he ran a 100 incher until we brought the Schultz's back to Havasu in November.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Most of the boats in the race were Vee Bottoms. ON was the top class, UIM Outboard N (99 cubic Inches). Schulz Hulls? I always said "Schultz". It has been so long I have forgotten who drove the 63 boat, but Dieter Schulz and someone named "CHRIS" drove together. Seems Dieter made it through the first hour and half, then Chris took over. He stuffed on about his first lap. Ted May started the race in #45, and I took over at an hour and half.

Barge traffic continued through the entire 6 hours. They left three feet tall wakes. The famous picture of Ted May standing straight up under the bridge was taken at this race.

OMC had four boats. Dewy Berghauer started the race but hit the pit turning buoy early and knocked a hole in the boat. They sank. I don't think any of us realized how much current was in the river. Dewy made what looked like a good turn, then next thing you know he's hit the buoy.

Tom and Mac McCune drove the fourth boat and second Johnson (All were equal: 2 Johnson, 2 Evinrudes, 4 Schulz Boats).

Ted and I ran ahead of the McCune's all day, I ran between the turn buoy and a barge on the pit turn and we neved got that lap. So, we ran second all day and got third.

We had run the 100 inchers at Parker in March, two on the Berghauer's Schulz, two on Ernie Thrikl's Switzer named "Black Coffin" and two on the DeSilva Wing that is on the cover of Ralph's book. Jimbo may have run a 100 incher at Parker on a Single engine, but I don't think so. I don't think he ran a 100 incher until we brought the Schultz's back to Havasu in November.
    . The first Paris 6hr race I drove in was in 1970 and was the last year they ran the barges through the race some barges towed others making it even more interesting at the pit buoy turns.You are correct Ron to say it was a rough race was a understatement .My entry was a 15ft boat V4 OMC powered it lasted for 2 hrs before punching the bottom through.The Shultz cats only stayed around up to around 1972 I will post a picture of the last boats I saw race.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one of those early Shultz cats That had an x115 on it, Not in good shape, but the same canopy,keeping it for a pattern
    It was in bad shape when I got it, but was told by owner he got it from OMC and Jimbo drove it. Can't part with that kind of history!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shultz cats paris race

Quote Originally Posted by swamppanther View Post
    I have one of those early Shultz cats That had an x115 on it, Not in good shape, but the same canopy,keeping it for a pattern
    It was in bad shape when I got it, but was told by owner he got it from OMC and Jimbo drove it. Can't part with that kind of history!
    Have you got any picis to post of this old boat and cowl you have.The first Schultz cats to land in the UK in 1968 were 17ft long one red and one green both 125 hp merc powered. In 1969 two 16ft Schultz cats arrived in the UK Bob Spalding ran one and Mike Rose ran the other both 100sbp powered they had a forward ballast tank in the nose and came with a big black speedo as std.I drove both of them and can tell you they were not rough water boats.The green boat in the picture uncle den is a17ft Shultz in 1968.The picture of the white Schultz is a 16ft boat driven by Bob Spalding in 1969.The last time I saw a Shultz boat run was 1972 at Bristol in the UK the driver was Rudi Hersal he went wide at the pit turn collided with the dock wall and died in the accident.The no 14 boat is Bob Nordskog at Paris in 1973 driving one of the later Schultz boats and look how much it looked like the no 11 Scotti boat that Ron Hill and Jimbo drove the same year..
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any photos at the moment, the front cowling was wood and tapered down to the deck and had a more rounded
    bow, the rear cowling is fiberglass and looks like the ones in your photos, I got the boat from Bob Witt in Texas.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paris 1972 Jimbo McConnell and Ron Hill Co-Drove Together

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pinson View Post
    Have you got any picis to post of this old boat and cowl you have.The first Schultz cats to land in the UK in 1968 were 17ft long one red and one green both 125 hp merc powered. In 1969 two 16ft Schultz cats arrived in the UK Bob Spalding ran one and Mike Rose ran the other both 100sbp powered they had a forward ballast tank in the nose and came with a big black speedo as std.I drove both of them and can tell you they were not rough water boats.The green boat in the picture uncle den is a17ft Shultz in 1968.The picture of the white Schultz is a 16ft boat driven by Bob Spalding in 1969.The last time I saw a Shultz boat run was 1972 at Bristol in the UK the driver was Rudi Hersal he went wide at the pit turn collided with the dock wall and died in the accident.The no 14 boat is Bob Nordskog at Paris in 1973 driving one of the later Schultz boats and look how much it looked like the no 11 Scotti boat that Ron Hill and Jimbo drove the same year..
    I ran the "BLUE" Schulz in Paris 1968, even though we ran second all day and finished third, I was NOT impressed with the boat. I had won. the John Ward 500 CC World Championships with a Konig and a Schulz Boat in Valleyfield, Canada, 1967. I had looked forward to racing in Paris 1968.

In 1971, I drove a Schulz, like Nordskog #14 with Mike Wallace. I set the "INDEX of Performance" record that year. "Index of Performance" was the boat/driver that increased the previous years lap times. I loved that 1972 Schulz and was leading with 30 minutes to go when I broke a crankshaft.

It was my driving of that Schulz that caused me to be team with Jimbo the next year.

Jimbo wasn't completely pleased that we were driving together. My dad and I had recommended to Jack Leek that Jimbo could drive a D Hydro. Jack took our word. In the kneel downs, Jimbo did OK, but was never as "FAMOUS" as Ron Hill. When Jimbo and I won Berlin in 1970, Jimbo admitted his watch broke and it was my quick thinking that won us the race. (Jimbo had stopped early. I figured out his error and made a quick fuel stop before the finish)...

So, I felt I should start Paris, 1972, but Jimbo was the "Factory" employee and he felt he should start the race. Jack Leek agreed with Jimbo. As he had wanted Jimbo to start Berlin, and I had made a "STICK" that the Molinari was "Jim Brigg's boat" and I was driving for Jim Briggs, not Jack Leek.).

Anyway, Jimbo stopped at 1 1/2 hour for fuel and the flywheel was broke (The new flex plated flexed too much and broke). By the time they put on a replacement flywheel was a many laps down. And to be honest, the Scotti with the air slotted just handles like crap. If you got it set of speed she wanted to blow over, if you trimmed her down, with my weight, she was glued in.

I pretty much fought with this Scotti for 1 1/2 hours. I pull in to the pits for fuel and there is no Jimbo, he's standing behind the pipes on the river bank in his street clothes. So, we are half way through 6n hours, I take a load a gas and head out...

This Mercury falls out, this OMC falls out, I start counting...Hmmm, I'ma top 5, when I stopped at 4 1/2 hours. I look up and Jimbo is standing in the pits as I get fuel with his jacket and helmet on. I give him the middle finger and take off.

We finished third.

My daughter was born October 8, 1973. I never raced in Paris after 1972 and have not been back and have no plans to return.

Thanks for the great pictures.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-28-2015 at 08:44 PM.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I ran the "BLUE" Schulz in Paris 1968, even though we ran second all day and finished third, I was NOT impressed with the boat. I had won. the John Ward 500 CC World Championships with a Konig and a Schulz Boat in Valleyfield, Canada, 1967. I had looked forward to racing in Paris 1968.

In 1971, I drove a Schulz, like Nordskog #14 with Mike Wallace. I set the "INDEX of Performance" record that year. "Index of Performance" was the boat/driver that increased the previous years lap times. I loved that 1972 Schulz and was leading with 30 minutes to go when I broke a crankshaft.

It was my driving of that Schulz that caused me to be team with Jimbo the next year.

Jimbo wasn't completely pleased that we were driving together. My dad and I had recommended to Jack Leek that Jimbo could drive a D Hydro. Jack took our word. In the kneel downs, Jimbo did OK, but was never as "FAMOUS" as Ron Hill. When Jimbo and I won Berlin in 1970, Jimbo admitted his watch broke and it was my quick thinking that won us the race. (Jimbo had stopped early. I figured out his error and made a quick fuel stop before the finish)...

So, I felt I should start Paris, 1972, but Jimbo was the "Factory" employee and he felt he should start the race. Jack Leek agreed with Jimbo. As he had wanted Jimbo to start Berlin, and I had made a "STICK" that the Molinari was "Jim Brigg's boat" and I was driving for Jim Briggs, not Jack Leek.).

Anyway, Jimbo stopped at 1 1/2 hour for fuel and the flywheel was broke (The new flex plated flexed too much and broke). By the time they put on a replacement flywheel was a many laps down. And to be honest, the Scotti with the air slotted just handles like crap. If you got it set of speed she wanted to blow over, if you trimmed her down, with my weight, she was glued in.

I pretty much fought with this Scotti for 1 1/2 hours. I pull in to the pits for fuel and there is no Jimbo, he's standing behind the pipes on the river bank in his street clothes. So, we are half way through 6n hours, I take a load a gas and head out...

This Mercury falls out, this OMC falls out, I start counting...Hmmm, I'ma top 5, when I stopped at 4 1/2 hours. I look up and Jimbo is standing in the pits as I get fuel with his jacket and helmet on. I give him the middle finger and take off.

We finished third.

My daughter was born October 8, 1973. I never raced in Paris after 1972 and have not been back and have no plans to return.

Thanks for the great pictures.
    Ron, must have been 1972 as Geoff Briggs & I were leading at 5 1/2 hours in 71 & I think the only OMC left with a 20 minute lead to break a rod giving the race to Downard & Merc.

I agree the the slotted nose Scotti pre pickle fork was a difficult boat to drive but Muncey & I should have won Parker in 1974 if the steering didn't break, although I stayed with it after it was fixed, much to then dismay of Bill & we finished 4th

Post Thanks / Like

Default Seebold and I Were Racing Hard

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Ron, must have been 1972 as Geoff Briggs & I were leading at 5 1/2 hours in 71 & I think the only OMC left with a 20 minute lead to break a rod giving the race to Downard & Merc.

I agree the the slotted nose Scotti pre pickle fork was a difficult boat to drive but Muncey & I should have won Parker in 1974 if the steering didn't break, although I stayed with it after it was fixed, much to then dismay of Bill & we finished 4th
    Billy and I were racing hard, as I recall, and he was leading. At the Statue of Liberty turn, Billy barrow rolled. I slowed to see if he was OK, then headed for the pit turn, figuring I only had about 30 minutes left and Wallace and I would win. Just then, I broke a crank.

Now your point of leading at 5 1/2 hours could be valid, as Billy may have just passed you guys when he rolled. I was never credited with leading a lap, and Billy may not have been credited either.

I do recall, my wife saying she and Lynn Seebold hugged, when neither Billy and I returned on the next lap. My wife and Lynn we NOT really friends. Somewhere her eon BRF is a picture of Billy being towed in upside down, it was a red Molinari. And I was being towed in ahead of him in what I called "The Johnny Lightning" Schulz. Wallace drove the firs 1 1/2 hours, then never returned to the cockpit.

Thread Information