Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Wild Geechee

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Billy and I were racing hard, as I recall, and he was leading. At the Statue of Liberty turn, Billy barrow rolled. I slowed to see if he was OK, then headed for the pit turn, figuring I only had about 30 minutes left and Wallace and I would win. Just then, I broke a crank.

Now your point of leading at 5 1/2 hours could be valid, as Billy may have just passed you guys when he rolled. I was never credited with leading a lap, and Billy may not have been credited either.

I do recall, my wife saying she and Lynn Seebold hugged, when neither Billy and I returned on the next lap. My wife and Lynn we NOT really friends. Somewhere her eon BRF is a picture of Billy being towed in upside down, it was a red Molinari. And I was being towed in ahead of him in what I called "The Johnny Lightning" Schulz. Wallace drove the firs 1 1/2 hours, then never returned to the cockpit.
    Actually Ron, I drove the 1st 2 hours & was 3rd Sotti was 1st Billy 2nd. After my stop Geoff took over & passed Billy. After a bit Scotti broke & we took over the lead until I broke at 5 1/2 hrs. I still think you are referring to 1972

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1972 Paris, I Drove With Jimbo in the Slotted Scotti.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Actually Ron, I drove the 1st 2 hours & was 3rd Sotti was 1st Billy 2nd. After my stop Geoff took over & passed Billy. After a bit Scotti broke & we took over the lead until I broke at 5 1/2 hrs. I still think you are referring to 1972
    The highest we got in 1972 was the last lap. We got third overall, third in class. The way they were falling out, I thought we might win.

1971, I ran with Mike Wallace in the Schulz.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    The highest we got in 1972 was the last lap. We got third overall, third in class. The way they were falling out, I thought we might win.

1971, I ran with Mike Wallace in the Schulz.
    Although I still believe slowing down after 4 hours wide open contributed to throwing a rod, when I got back in at the 4 hr mark Lou Eppel & Jack Leek said that Geoff & I were in 1st. Lou said to make a lap & to look for him on the sea wall where the river narrows by the pit turn just after the bridge. He said he would give me the high sign if I needed to run hard & the down sided hands if I needed to slow down. I got the slow down sign.But my point is that we were in the lead from before the 4 hour mark until we broke at about 5 hours ten minutes & then Downard took over until the finish & won. Even Bill Welch stated over on Scream & Fly that he was happy to see that I didn't come around & gave the lead to Merc

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1971 Paris 6hr race

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Hi John the 1971 Paris 6hr race didn`t go too well for me as my team had entered 2 19ft cats to run the barge wash only to find the barge traffic was stopped until the last hour my outfit had engine failure after just 40 mins you and Ron did much better.The picture of the no 12 boat is the Shultz outfit of Hill-Wallace the French report says they were up with the front runners.Name:  1971 Paris 6hr Hill Wallace entry 001.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  96.9 KBName:  1971 Paris 6hr race report 001.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  106.6 KBName:  1971 PARIS french race report 001.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  128.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Powerboat magazine article & will scan it & post it as soon as done.

Post Thanks / Like

Attached is the Powerboat article by CD Strang about the 1972 Paris race. It's in jpeg format. I will also post it in pdf so readers will have the option to print whichever provides the best results. The picture at the bottom as posted reads that Geoff Briggs is actually in the boat but Jack Leek told me that it was me. I have the actual picture framed in my office. I can tell by the helmet that the helmet as striped around the bottom was how I painted my helmet.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the pdf files of the same article

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pinson View Post
    Hi John the 1971 Paris 6hr race didn`t go too well for me as my team had entered 2 19ft cats to run the barge wash only to find the barge traffic was stopped until the last hour my outfit had engine failure after just 40 mins you and Ron did much better.The picture of the no 12 boat is the Shultz outfit of Hill-Wallace the French report says they were up with the front runners.Name:  1971 Paris 6hr Hill Wallace entry 001.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  96.9 KBName:  1971 Paris 6hr race report 001.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  106.6 KBName:  1971 PARIS french race report 001.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  128.5 KB
    What does the newspaper say in English? Any official score sheets till out there???

I know one thing about 1971, if Wallace and i had electrical problems it was because the flywheel and crank shaft came out of the motor and ripped the wires with it....

Post Thanks / Like

The only sheets that I have are the entry list & the timer sheet after 2 hours. They are attached.

Post Thanks / Like

Default We Were 7 Laps Down at 1 1/2 Hours...

I know for a fact, were were 7 laps down at 1 1/2 hours and I drove til we broke.....

John, did you get one of these metals, Conseil de Paris, Medalle??? I thought I got this as part of the "Index of Performance"....No date on the coin, but there is one on E-Bay listed for $106.00.

But Charlie made it sound like Scotti turned the fastest lap...I'm surprises the Scotti didn't drive with Jimbo in '72....

Thread Information