Thread: The Wild Geechee

Post Thanks / Like

Default Geechee II

1970 Lake Havasu
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John Sherlock

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have listened to many old racers that I know in this area that are familiar with that boat and the idea behind that boat was simply to be a single engine, corner quick and get out of the corner quick. Most of the races back then in the south were the short course sprint races like Hazelhurst, Kings Ferry, etc. Very forward thinking since most race boats of the day were Allisons or bigger tunnel boats, many with twin engines. Little boat ran good in rough water too. In Beaufort S.C. it whipped an entire field of unlimited tunnels as a storm was blowing in making for a very rough race course.

Back then I did not pay any attention to the design but looking at it now it has those steep sponson angles that run all the way forward and incorporates strakes. This would make it good around tight turns and then step up quickly out of the corner. The forks and top deck design resemble a Cougar tunnel which was built years later in England.

Great pics!
    Outboard Model Concepts
    RC Mod-VP hulls
    Distributor for HTB Tunnels

Post Thanks / Like

My clearest memory of the Geechee was at the heat races at Smith Mountain Lake in '68 or '69. Bucky Morris and Bob Van Epps hooked up in a race for the ages...Van Epps in a little wood Sidewinder tunnel. This was the very early days of tunnel boat racing when most drivers were going on their heads. As the two came side by side down the last straight away Van Epps trimmed up...up....up.. and approached the finish line at a 45 degree angle to the water......and passed out of my line of sight behind the Mercury truck. One of Mercury's techs was watching the heat while hanging out of the side door. As the boats came closer to the edge of his vision field at the end of the trailer he leaned further and further out and as they disappeared from view he fell out completely. We all scrambled to the edge to see if Van Epps somehow landed right side up...he did. Absolutely amazing to watch those two battling side by side.

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Miami

The second boat from left is the Geechee, with Earl Bentz or Bucky Morris driving.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Some interesting stuff Danny. And that's also a good angle of the Miami Marine Stadium in the background. Looking at it... I just had the thought of a Sci-Fi metal giant clam that could close up with all those people inside.. That was unique architechture, and I am glad there is hope for salvaging it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default D.f.

D.F. Jenkins is in the white pants. D.F. build the motor an owned the Geechee II .AL does he look about the same.

Allen J. Lang

Default D.F. Jenkins

Danny- For some reason, it seemed that D.F. was a bit husky compared to the picture. Remember it was the late 50s/early 60s that I knew him.
    Great pictures, keep them comming.
    Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al

Post Thanks / Like

Blast from the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Noa

I have no idea how I ended up with this card. 1977 was the yr. D.F. was killed in an auto accident.This would have been the last NOA card he had.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of OPC Nat's were held here.

Thread Information