Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1957 B konig lower unit.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1957 B konig lower unit.

hi everyone,i just brought a 1957 B konig lower unit from a racer recently.i was about to tear it apart to change all the bearing and oil seal.do anyone one here know the correct method to seperate the pinion from the driveshaft.or maybe it require a special tools.any tips and advises will be very much appriciate.best regard Mr Lo.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lcp View Post
    hi everyone,i just brought a 1957 B konig lower unit from a racer recently.i was about to tear it apart to change all the bearing and oil seal.do anyone one here know the correct method to seperate the pinion from the driveshaft.or maybe it require a special tools.any tips and advises will be very much appriciate.best regard Mr Lo.
    From what I remember you have to tap the top of the shaft down so it will expose a metal ring on the top of the gear. Lift up that ring and you should see a shear pin hole. Drive the pin out and then secure the top of the shaft in a vise and hit the unit down. With luck the gear will come off. It is much harder to put it back on again so if you do not have to removr it leave it alone. The top seal can be replaced with out the shaft being removed. ..Bob
    Bob Rusnak

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default a great guy

what a great guy with good experiece.i have follow your guide step by step.found the shear pin that hide behide the ring.finally i have successfull pull out the driveshaft.its seems the unit come with the original bearing with the word'germany' stamp on it.so i make my desicion to pull everthing out and replace with new bearing.i know its hard to press the pinion back in place. definately i need to make a special tool to support the pinion in place before i pretend reasyblem the pinion and the driveshaft. i will lets u know how the reasymbly process is going on.we really needs guy like Bob Rusnak this in this forum who can truely sharing their experience by providing usefull information to assist each and others.thanks bob!best regard Mr Lo.

Thread Information