Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: old motor

Post Thanks / Like

we used crawdad also, but we took their claws off just to make it a fair fight. Also used minnows. Put big and stinky cheese balls in the box traps and certain times of the year we would put a female cat in the trap. Sometimes when we pulled the box trap it would be bulging out the sides, full of cat! Yep those were good memories. Most of the commercial fishermen back there have taken to raising rabbits. Not too much call for fresh Mississippi cat anymore. The "pond raised" have taken over.

Post Thanks / Like

Box traps were illegal in Missouri, but were legal in Illinois.

Who really paid any attention to which side of the river we were on?
    I ran the boat, Dad rebaited the boxes with rotten cheese scraps we bought from the cheese factory. We let the cheese "ripen" in the sun and get full of maggots, really caught a lot of fish that way.

Dad would bait a box then lean over the side of the jonboat and "blow chunks".

For a commercial fisherman, he sure had a weak stomach.

Back to the 12 hp Sea King. My cousin Larry and I used to SKI behind that motor. It was hard to get on top, but of course we both weighed about 100# less than we do today.

For a cheaply built motor,(no roller or ball bearings) the Sea King and it's many private label cousin Gale products (OMC Division) served their owners quite well!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the Sea Kings, Buccaneers, Firestones, Gale products, and many others over the course of years were built any different than the Johnson and Evinrude. How many other engines can you think of that were built by the OMC people? Rod

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Sea Bee 12

Had one of the Sea Bee 12sback in the early 50s on a CC racing pram dad and I built. Sold the rig in 1954 to buy my first race boat, a E Mod on july 4th 1954. Dad was mad as he really liked the Sea Bee as it was very dependable and sweet running. Have a 12 Sea King in my collection now which runs well also.
    Ye Olde Desert Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gale Products

I was a toolmaker at Gale Products in Galesburg, IL in those days. They were testing the "new" V4 by seeing how high it could pump water in a silo.
    It don't get no better than this.

Post Thanks / Like

If you worked for Gale, can you tell us if there was a difference between the two cylinder John/rudes and the SeaBees/Firestones/Sea Kings etc? Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default same?

In some cases they were the same and some were a previous year with new stickers. To the best of my memory. I remember making templates to position the stickers on the cowlings. They had a lot of J6J plugs there and they wanted me to use them in my sbc drag car.

Post Thanks / Like

Pop, what kind of a run-a-bout is that? That is when boats were boats and not surf boards with motors hung on them--no wonder the run-a-bouts have died out around here! The one you have pictured is a beauty! Too bad we can't get the Classic Outboard Run-a-bouts going again, only in a sit down version, maybe with a v-bottom and a shifting type lower unit. Kind of what OPC started out to be! They have really failed us with what they have done!

Post Thanks / Like

Default runabout

It is a Willis Comet made in Dallas TX. It was my raceboat, ski boat, family boat. If we could get something going like you are talking about, I would get out there. I have the plans for the Comet and have been talking to Ernie about building it.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Pop, I am currently chairing the COR-2.0 class and I am attempting to get about 4 more classes going so that we could form our own category in APBA. The reason I am shooting for our own category is so that we can prevent what happened to OPC (TURNING FAMILY RACING INTO EXPENSIVE ALL OUT RACING BOATS). The current rules for the COR-2.0 are listed. I would like to keep that as the fastest and largest of the classes with a speed of around 80-85 mph max. I would also like to see a COR-100 cu. in. , COR-70 cu. in., COR-55 cu.in. and a COR-40 cu.in. with boats ranging from the present 19' (COR-2.0) to 14' for the COR-40 cu.in. All of these classes could be massaged one way or the other as to the cu. inches. They would all be sit down type boats. All engines would have shifter lower units, electric start, boats with a flat, V or Mod V bottom (no tunnels) etc. much like the present rules on the COR-2.0's. Now, what I need is some one to take over and chair one or more of the other classes with the same basic objective as we already have written, that is FUN, SAFE, COMPETITIVE, INEXPENSIVE RACING! Until we can fill the classes, we could all run in the same race utilizing the stagger'd (handicap) start that has proven successful at both Parker (enduro) and in the stadium (inboard hydros during the 70's). IF ANYONE OUT THERE IS INTERESTED, CALL ME AT (310) 488-3563. ROD ZAPF

Thread Information