Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 49.7 using 4.00" rods

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sorry Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by OUTBOARDER View Post
    Already answered Dave, it is less expensive since locally we do not have FEH race ready powerheads lying around. have already discussed the cost effectivene$$ of burning down ten $tocker$ a in one $eason vs say a Runne 49.7 .............

Quote: Much cheaper than going through the work you have mentioned?????
    A: I did not mention work???

Q: Is this your motor or are you charging someone to build them one ? If so, can you name your customer ?
    A: talk to me at the races or call 757 338-2008

PS: Let me know how much for one of yours and what it will do

Have a good one!!!
    I don't have any for sale right now, nor have I ever. Never have sold 850CCM engines. Only one I know of Dad sold, and that was his original one to Harry Brinkman to help the class get going back when they invented it.

If I built a stock engine it would not burn down ten times If you are having trouble burning up stock engines I would say it is an issue not related to the powerhead.

Sorry, I won't be calling, I had my fill the last go around.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stock Outboard

Quote Originally Posted by David Mason View Post
    I don't have any for sale right now, nor have I ever. Never have sold 850CCM engines. Only one I know of Dad sold, and that was his original one to Harry Brinkman to help the class get going back when they invented it.

If I built a stock engine it would not burn down ten times If you are having trouble burning up stock engines I would say it is an issue not related to the powerhead.

Sorry, I won't be calling, I had my fill the last go around.
    Was FEH a stock class in the beggining? That is interesting how times have changed. That explains a different perspective Stock vs Mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Back in 1999 APBA listed it as the most open of the mod classes that is what interested me to learn about two stroke outboard engines.

Problem was the FEH engines were not availble in my area!!!

Have to go and put my order in for some pistons

Anthony

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default FEH Class

In Cincinnati, Ohio in 1983 the mod commission met with others to structure what is today the FEH, FER. There was a lot of input from mostly "E" Class drivers. Along with Brinkman,Mason,Pigott,Brill,Terrell,Hemp,Robb Sr.&myself as well as a host of others the class took off. The only controversy was the 650XS as to wheather it was a production motor or not. This was where and how it was birthed and you see where it is today. Can't remember who was Mod V.P. at the time. Maybe Engler???

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod lengths

How long are the;
    a) old 'big twin' rods?
    b) how long are the mod 50 rods?

Phil
    What rod length are your pistons designed for?

Thanks
    Powerabout

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod lengths

Rods:
    Back in the 70's when OMC was building the Mod.50 they took a rod that they already manufactured to use for this motor. It was in the 2 cyl. motors in the 50's and 60's and early 70's. The casting # on the rod is 308301 and had(from what I've seen)3 diff. versions. One had 3 holes drilled in the cap. Another version had a relief in the wrist pin(both sides) for clips to hold brg. assy. in. And 3rd. was the solid rods. ALL of these rods have a small wrist pin.
    OMC used this mold to cast Mod.50 rods. Crank-end the same,but instead of the small wrist pin, they made it a large wrist pin as found in the 3 cyls. of last production.
    Their pistons(Mod.50) were unique to the 3cyl. only and were built with the longer rod as an assy. to give the racing version of the 3cyl. longevity. Even though both assys. were the same in length(from split of crank end of rod to top of piston)the longer would prove to be the better in the life of the motors.
    The rods are still around today as I bought 5 new ones a couple monthe ago.

Hope this helps in your rod and piston selections. Phil

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Phil

What rod length are your pistons for?
    Where does the 56 rod length fit into this picture
    is it longer or shorter than the mod 50?

Those old big twin rods must still be around as the 40hp they came from was manufactured as a commercial engine for years as I still see army/navy guys using them around the world.

Powerabout

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Length

As near as I can measure the rods(fish and Mod.50) measure 4.242" +/-. This is from center of crank end to center of wrist pin end.

As for the 56 ci/SST60 rods they are shorter than these above and do not fit into this equasion at all.

When I look for good used ones, I go by the casting # I gave you so as to no confusion. Makes it easier. I like the solid rods of the 3.

Thanks Phil

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Phil
    So your pistons suit the long rod with small wrist pin

Thread Information