Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's Make Noise

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2009 Mod Natls

Hi Al,

Both Hay and Robb were triples that came from my shop, though Jason performed some additional mods based on 444 technology. I'm waiting for lap times to see which one was fastest around the race course. Rich didn't make it: He has a new boat (untested) and the engine has yet to be assembled.

The 444.1 now belongs to Mark Suter, 444.2 to Roger Hinsdale, and the 444.3 is 1/2 finished on my workbench (along with three other excellent FE engines in process). I plan to show them all at Mark's Oct 24 AOMCI meet.

My plan is to run a radical new triple at the Dayton record runs (Rich or little Jimmy driving), and the 444.3 at Hillsdale. I will also demo my "quiet" Mod-50on the Friday test day. The other engine will be in test phase through the fall and not see a course until next year.

If you can't make Mark's meet, I'm sure there will be plenty of images on BRF. Thanks for asking.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tim Kurcz,
    think you can help me out with some jettin info for a set of Mod50 carbs i gots?
    thanks
    FF

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mod-50 carb jetting

You betcha, Fred.

Most of my work is with the 1" venturi 2bbls. There are two primary types; one with screw in air bleeds in the emulsion tubes, and one without. Jetting is different for each. Which do you have?

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

the ones i got have a jet in the bottom of the main nozzel. does that help.
    they are 1"

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

so the ones i got have a low speed jet(in the side, each side) a high speed jet
    ( in the bottom of the bowl) and a jet in the bottom of the main nozzel,or emulsion tubes.
    thanks
    FF

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jetting

For carbs with adjustable air bleeds, I run #38 air bleeds and #41 main jets. Idle jets will be #36-38. These work well with a Mod-50 internal exhaust (above water restricted), or my external Mod-50 copy (atmospheric). If you're running through the prop it may be a little rich.

As with any Mod-50 or FE engine, be certain you supply 3.5 psi fuel with a pump capable of delivering 15 gph at pressure. An electric pump with regulator and by-pass are preferred. Plug reads are critical as well: If not, you'll likely end up with a box-o-pistons with various forms of thermally induced artwork just like me.........

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

thanks,she is fallin a sleep with them 38 low speed jets, way to fat. checked and rechecked then checked some more again, the carbs are workin like they wanted them to. fuel psi is 3.5 -4.5 psi at about 40gals an hour

thanks, gots more than enough of them art-work pistons

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

gots a set of 1" and 3/16's Mod 50 carbs, they gots a 36 lowspeed jets in them.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel pressure

Hey Fred,

If you're running this on your SLT, you'll need leaner idle jets because of the exhaust restriction. As long as you have the big end covered, this should be easy to rectify. Note you can split jet the idles with good results - it all goes the same place (saves having to buy more brass).

I am concerned you have too much fuel pressure and may be blowing past the needles at low speed, an uncontrolled rich condition. If you don't have a regulator, try Mr. Gasket. They sell a nice detent adjustable from 1 to 5 psi.

BTW: For FE (850) we all have atmospheric exhaust, and don't idle for more than a few seconds (if at all) so we're less sensitive to an over-rich condition. We start on prime and are on plane within 5 seconds....... Good luck!

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

ya, i checked that many many times. any way guna run up these hear 1"and 3/16's carbs, they gots the same size throttle plates, the venturi is bigger, and they got a mid range curcuit, with a siphon in the main nozzel for the mid range curcuit, no jet in the main nozzel, does have big a$$ 63 main jets

Thread Information