Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Paul Stratton "Sew What Racing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paul Stratton "Sew What Racing

I just learned last Wednesday, April 29, 2009 that Paul Stratton had passed away last June. Paul and his wife Lee Ann were great supporters of boat racing.

Their daughter Sandy Hammer Stratton has given me some pictures to post. I will post more later.

I grew up in Bellflower and I guess Paul and I were always friends....He later moved his upholstery shop to Stanton where he rented John's Custom Marine's back building. Paul made all of Eliminator seats in those days.

Later, when Eliminator moved to Mira Loma Paul moved his shop to one of Bob Leach;s new buildings. Later, Eliminators started making their own seats and Paul moved to Riverside.

He sponsored his nephew, the late GREAT George Stratton in Super Stock and many other Flat Bottom classes.

3rd picture: John McCardle, Paul and George Stratton...

Paul's grandson, Danny Stratton raced outboards, then quarter midgets and now lives in Indiana and races Midgets there...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about Paul. He was always willing to talk to a young kid from Arizona and show him something on the boats he didn't know. One thing about Paul, he always traveled in a shiny rig with the boat to match.

I had the luxury of traveling throughout the country with the "Sew What" boats during the 80's and early 90's. In fact, Jack Pelican and Paul made me try my first plate of oysters and clams on our way to the Inboard Nationals at Eugene, OR. in 86. Danny traveled with my father and I in our rig, just to get away from Jacks cigar smoke and Paul's cigarette smoke.. Great to hear Danny is still racing, would love to hear from that kid again. He must have been all of 9 or 10 years old when he last traveled with the team.

Jeff Conant

Post Thanks / Like

Default "sew What"...

Just getting around to posting some more..

Post Thanks / Like

Default George Stratton

More Stratton pictures...The J Runabout is Danny Stratton in his Sorensen 15A Johnson..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paul and George...

Some more Stratton pictures...

The "KID" is grandson, Danny!

Thread Information