Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Coolest racing engine of all time???

Post Thanks / Like

Default lilabner

If that picture didn't get the crazy ideas going in my head, nothing will! Now you've got me thinking what air cooled engines would work as an outboard, and what would sound the coolest. My wife is going to be very, very mad at you!!
    Joe Horvath
    1994 Mirage Mod VP
    12" Rude Looper

Post Thanks / Like

The Paramore brothers have already been turning junk snowmobile motors into budget priced 350 alky motors
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like somebody needs to take a Compose and chill out..wine works too...

Post Thanks / Like

Default chevair

The really neat fake out was the kit with an insert that looked like luggage and junk made of molded fiberglass that fit over the engine in the back seat...

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm not sure what this is.....

.....but I think it's a 250cc Honda. My Dad and his partner had an OMC & Honda dealership 1968 to 1975, and around 73 or 74? Honda came out with a new engine that really screamed. It did well in motorcycle racing and I think this may be one that Walt Blankenstein rigged up for us. I don't remember much about it. These photos were from DePue 1974. My best recollection is that we were never able to get it on a plane. And for some reason we never tested it again. I think when my Dad sent it to Walt to convert it to outboard capability, that this motor must have been the two packages Walt had "wired" to see if Charley Bradley was snooping. (see and earlier post)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Default Busted...........

That's the engine, Wayne! I remember it like it was yesterday. Walt was all fired up about getting this one running for your Dad and REALLY wanted to give you a motor that would scream. I was supposed to be there with Walt but I think I got married around the time he left for this race. I invited him and he thought he would enjoy the races more.................I would have, too. How did this one turn out? Walt never brought me up to speed as far as what he found out. I built part of it and he was very PO'ed I didn't come and help. Thanks for the great pics, as usual..................
    Charley Bradley

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Some One Was Engaged In Putting A Omc Rotary Snowmo Engine On A Racing Tower

There was a rumour back when OMC like Mercury were both building snowmobiles that some OMC freak was mounting an OMC snowmo rotary lobe engine on a racing tower for some racing hydro project. It was a rumour back then on the early 1980s, does anyone know if that thing ever got built? A rotary outboard racing engine??? That would have sure been different! A sewing machine ouffing popps at high speed outa what kind of pipe??

Post Thanks / Like

OMC never ran a sno-mo motor on a racer, but there was a prototype of a sno-mo motor fitted to a production tower & lower unit in the 80's ....

BUT

back in '73 OMC raced a full blown racing rotary outboard (until it was basically banned and broke enough transoms to make them think better of it)
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Charlie..........

Look closely at the picture of Charlie Strang............This is the face of someone that always had a trick or two up his sleeve. I always enjoyed being around him and very much benefitted from anything that he had to say. I could never get over the grin...........To me, it always said "Sure...we're fast now, but wait until next week..............."
    Charley Bradley

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OMC Rotary engines

Charlie Strang always had that smile. He also took a lot of pictures. I had a Mazda RX-2 with a rotary. Great car. I overhauled the engine in 1975 and found it easy to work on. The article is from Motorsport June 1973.

BTW Charley-Never tested that engine again. Don't know what happened to it.
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 10-10-2005 at 09:34 AM. Reason: make images larger

Thread Information