Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Coolest racing engine of all time???

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Omc Ft

Hello Fred,
    The FT was painted white with blue writing, it had a different adapter plate to the standard one in your pic to fit the wider exhaust plates, also did not have the exhaust relief holes in the gearcase above the cav plate, they dumped all engine water outside the exhaust housing. Gear ratio was same as for 15' stinger smal box. Usually ran a 21" or 23" cleaver.
    There would be some pics around of one of these somewhere , but will take some chasing up. I'll ask around and see what I can find.
    In competition it went like this in even steps; 75 stinger - 650XS Merc - FT.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

couldn't find the mod50 adapter plate, but i did find the exhaust plates, just tricked up that adapter.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Absolute coolest O/B race engine

Well guys beat this. There is a guy in Aus by the name of Bert Hines who dry sumped a 350 chev and mounted it on an O/B leg. He ran it on Renato Molinari's old SAFFA boat, it went like the clappers but didn't corner too well (top heavy). Unfortunately I don't have pics but this was a work of art.
    Ron you know Bert, did he ever send you a pics

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default How About A GM Air Cooled Corvair Engine Outboarded in a Hot Rod Mag Issue!

I can remember and issue of HOT ROD Magazine back in the late 1960s where a enthusiast mounted a GM flat 6 cylinder out of a Corvair (Yes, the one Nader killed, unsafe at any speed) mounted it on a racing tower and got 90 miles per hour out of it on some big hydro. The magazine had a picture of it running but there was no comment about it going around a corner, so maybe Hot Rod Magazine avoided that area of interest. Heavy? You bet!

Post Thanks / Like

John, I'm pretty sure it was a drag racer that did not need to turn

I think it held an outboard drag speed record for a while in it's day
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default corvair

I've got an 8mm movie of it running...1967 at Nat Drags in Perris
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Racing engine

Wow!! I done a lot of outboard racing, seen a lot of outboards, but nothing even close to this. What is or what was it.
    Ray

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default THAT IS THAT GM FLAT SIX CORVAIR ENGINED HYDRO FROM THE 1960s

That is that crazy General Motors Covair flat 6 cylinder air cooled engine "dry sumped" and stood on a racing tower back in the later 1960s I yakked about in a previous post out of Hot Rod magazine story and picts. It was one heavy engine. Water cooling was not a problem and it needed none! Anyone here got a Porche flat 6 turbocharged engine they want to try doing that instead of the Corvair???

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default There is a red 1960s Corvair in the picture!

For those too lil at the time as to what a GM/Chevy Corvair looked like, there is a red one parked to the right of the Corvair powered outboard race engine in the background of the picture. Look Ma! No Rad! A lot of locals here ditched their air cooled engines, flipped the transaxle/transmission around and mounted a 305 to 350 Chevys back in them where the rear seat used to be and did a nice job of hiding the radiator so as to conceal it from others at the lights to make it a sleeper hot rod. I owned a later model Corsa turbo, but it didn't last but as again I should have kep it as it is a collector car today.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep your Porsche on a freshwater lake..Some of them have a lot of magnesium parts..remember the case stuffers on an early OMC ? I think they were bolted to the crank and made quite a mess when they submerged in So Fla..

Thread Information