Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Coolest racing engine of all time???

Tomtall

Default Scott Atwater

Well this thread hasn't been active in awhile so I thought I would get it active again with a posting of the Scott world record attempt dyno picture. Sam was the one who started this great thread with a posting of his favorit outboard, the Scott Atwater.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Outboard museum Berlin GER.

Photo Jarno Pirhonen.

No. Deutsche Museum, München. I posted a quite similar photo 1/2009.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Outboard museum Berlin GER.

Photo Jarno Pirhonen.
    No. Deutsche Museum, München.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe not the coolest, but pretty cool. This was a Martin Factory engine. No serial number. It has been in storage since new.
    www.Compmillennia.com Builder of Lightspeed Catamarans

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Max View Post
    Maybe not the coolest, but pretty cool. This was a Martin Factory engine. No serial number. It has been in storage since new.
    Louis Rothermel in Houston owns quite a few of those, plus both fishing and racing Martin 200s. He ran them as kid. Here are two from Louis' collection. For more look under Members' Activities on

http://www.texaschapteraomci.com/Members_Activities.php

Indian restored by Tom Oncken, Houston.

I'm writing an article on the Walker-Baumann tractor gearcase, with many photos, for The Antique Outboarder, in case anyone's interested. Will come out in Jan. or April. You get the AO free when you join the AOMCI

www.aomci.org

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. For the first time I see that my engine has a prototype short tower compared to the engines sold to the public and from the photos of other "60's" I have seen on the web. I never realized that until now. The last photo is a nice 200 "S"
    www.Compmillennia.com Builder of Lightspeed Catamarans

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Max View Post
    Interesting. For the first time I see that my engine has a prototype short tower compared to the engines sold to the public and from the photos of other "60's" I have seen on the web. I never realized that until now. The last photo is a nice 200 "S"
    After WWII OMC made no more racing motors until the 1960s. George Martin took the 60(shown above) to a race and beat the Mercury 10hp. Kiekhaefer blew his stack and demanded something to beat them. The Quickie lower unit was the result. Bill Holland raced and was Martin rep before he was Scott rep, then dealer and raced the Scott 590.
    Later he was a Mercury dealer in Houston. He ran the Scott on a Jones cabover hydro.

Post Thanks / Like

My research says it was the Champion Hot Rod that got Carl's goat ... it preceded the Martin racers. The Martin 200 racer did cause Kiekhaefer to upgrade the Merc B racer from the KG7H to the Mark20H ... but by the time the 20H was for sale, National Pressure Cooker had scrapped Martin production.

The Martin HS60 was never on Carl's radar ... it did not qualify as an APBA race motor. The few times HS60's raced against Mercs were at Martin's own backyard pond races and the Mercs may or may not have even had Quickies. Martin publicized the events as if they were big time races and Martin fans got a big ego boost from it.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jim Jost....

As I recall the story, Jim Jost worked for Martin and raced a Martin....Jost was quite a PR man, so Carl hired Jimmy at Mercury.
    Seems maybe Martins were made by a pressure cooker company. They soon went broke.
    Carl understood marketing, probably better than engineering!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    My research says it was the Champion Hot Rod that got Carl's goat ... it preceded the Martin racers. The Martin 200 racer did cause Kiekhaefer to upgrade the Merc B racer from the KG7H to the Mark20H ... but by the time the 20H was for sale, National Pressure Cooker had scrapped Martin production.

The Martin HS60 was never on Carl's radar ... it did not qualify as an APBA race motor. The few times HS60's raced against Mercs were at Martin's own backyard pond races and the Mercs may or may not have even had Quickies. Martin publicized the events as if they were big time races and Martin fans got a big ego boost from it.
    Sam,

Martin 60 was about 1950. When was the Hot Rod built?
    Louis Rothermel can quote the date and place of the race site
    when the Martin 60 beat the Mercurys. I'll check.

Best,
    Joe

Thread Information