Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Coolest racing engine of all time???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pictures Are Too Small For Me To See...

Dave Bryan, who posted here, give me Ron Loomis' email the other day!

Can you make the pictures larger?

Any speed secrets you want to share about 20-H pressure regulators?

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 20H Regulator

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Dave Bryan, who posted here, give me Ron Loomis' email the other day!

Can you make the pictures larger?

Any speed secrets you want to share about 20-H pressure regulators?
    The guys in the Seattle area were using a Filt O Reg regulator according to Johnny Wehrle & Sid Urytzski (Sid-Carft) who attended the 1955 Nationals. We couldn't use them in Region 3 as they were illegal. Who knows why they were allowed to use them.

I re did the pictures from above. Hopefully they'll be larger this time.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Default Classic race motors

There is a renaissance of the old Quincy and other early mod stuff going on. When I raced up in Seattle area, region 10 it was the heyday of all this "alky" stuff. I remember ELIMINATIONS in F hydro! All I could afford was an AU rig in those days and I always wanted to "get me onna' these"!

So here's one nostalgia trip for you.I remember Bud Walters had one screamin' D alky made from a sandcast engine. Charlie Williams has it today. By a stroke of good luck I was able to get a Quincy sandcast D powerhead from ebay. After a battle with dried castor I was able to get it apart. It has the full treatment, at one time it even had "mumps" Doug Kay built me a set of stacks for it and we cut some off the Wiseco pistons for gas. I have it nearly redone and will have it to run at collector meets and / or races in 2011!

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Bringing this back for new members to see and comment on.

Link to the first page: http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...read.php?t=910
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 3 pipes= LonStevens w/6 carbs

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Akers View Post
    Wayne, I cant remember if they had six pipes or three ? but it wasnt the flathead , I would have rememberd that thing !

The one in the pic I belive is a stevens (could be rong). this six carb engine is still racing today

And oh yes that smell was something else
    .................................................. ...
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    The fuel was probably the methanol/castor blend with (Blenzall brand) "oil of merbane" - which my local speed shop said is really NITRO Benzene.Lon was a dealer for Blenzall...
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............................
    Rich Fuschlin has had a "bunch" of Stevens ' 6 carb mercs .He also had 4 carb mercs (4 cylinder).

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice Picture

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Akers View Post
    I allways liked this one too. Very impresive work !

Jeff,
    Great picture of Steve Bensons rig. He ran this often down here in region 11. He later sold the boat to Mike Lopez who ran it with great success along with many records broke with it. He then sold the boat to someone back East. He did have Steve build him another motor with a new boat built but this one was special. I always liked the name they had for the boat Never Ending.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    What is your favorite? Here's mine:

(Still looking for one of these ugly lower units for it or a short 13½" tower to get in trade for the long 16")
    Probably the OMC Mod 50 motor with exhaust on the starboard side, but I like the stock version, the 1975 Evinrude 75.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Jeff--Was the Lon Stevens Merc with the six pipes or the right side or a Merc Quincy flathead like this? You know Jeff, I swear when I started scanning this photo I had the brief smell of that fuel blend from Californie (forgot the name) that had something extra that made it smell different from regular castor oil/methanol blend.
    I just found this post, Looks like Jerry Heywood on the left, Is that Bruce Summers at the helm (center)? I know Bruce is on BRF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MTECHMARINE View Post
    There is a renaissance of the old Quincy and other early mod stuff going on. When I raced up in Seattle area, region 10 it was the heyday of all this "alky" stuff. I remember ELIMINATIONS in F hydro! All I could afford was an AU rig in those days and I always wanted to "get me onna' these"!

So here's one nostalgia trip for you.I remember Bud Walters had one screamin' D alky made from a sandcast engine. Charlie Williams has it today. By a stroke of good luck I was able to get a Quincy sandcast D powerhead from ebay. After a battle with dried castor I was able to get it apart. It has the full treatment, at one time it even had "mumps" Doug Kay built me a set of stacks for it and we cut some off the Wiseco pistons for gas. I have it nearly redone and will have it to run at collector meets and / or races in 2011!

Hope you enjoy the pictures.
    Nice photos, Bill! I think sandcast means KG-9, right?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Brichter:

I think the driver of the "F" Hydro is possibly Wayne Walgrave. I haven't seen him in probably 30 years but I think I recognize him because that was the type life jacket he wore.

Plus 6 cyl flatheads were not that common and not just everyone had one. Bruce Summers of course did, but I don't think that is him. Perhaps Gene East will chime in, cause I am sure he knows for sure who it is.

Thread Information