Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Coolest racing engine of all time???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mazda......

I'm surprised it took so long to need a rebuild on the rotary engine in the Mazda. The dusty roads you use to drive it on would wear out a normal engine in half the time. I remember you telling me how much you liked it.
    I'm sorry you didn't get to play with the motor Walt built for your Dad any more. Walt was really sure it would be a good one. If you come across any more pics of it, post them if you have time. Thanks..........
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

There is a book out with pictures of the gorgeous Soriano and Lesco blown flat-six outboards built by the Italians in the Fifties. Exquisite craftsmanship from rope plate to skeg. See "A Century of Outboard Racing," by Kevin Desmond. I'm going to post a separate thread with information on this and another book, incl. where to find them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default rotary?

If remember right, the Paramore brothers have a Wankel that they run now and again. I think they ran it last year at Cullaby. The sucker is LOUD. Maybe I've got a picture, or I can send John over to share.

They also have been experimenting with Rotax and Polaris snowmobile powerheads for a few years in 350cc Hydro. Did pretty well last season by keeping the things running.
    Mike Johnson

World Headquarters

Portland, Oregon USA

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

thare is a snowmo moda on a 15" mid on an SLT, think you would better off with a jet ski moda, the snowmo is vary narrow in power band on the water

Post Thanks / Like

Default Polaris , Rotax and Wankle

The Rotax pushed my "barn door " D boat to 94.1 GPS on pump gas at Cullaby a couple years ago . The Polaris ( with a clutch ) pushed John's red barn door D boat over 80 at Lawrence last year on pump gas . The Wankle was only disapointing because it's so restricted portwise , it won't turn up .
    The Yamaha 250 at the end of R&D was real close to a good C stock .
    Haven't had the 1/2 Polaris on a boat but it will turn 7500+ in the tank with my test wheel . Narrow power band ? Sure , just means you have to drive like you mean it . ( don't let it fall off the pipe! ) Tools required - skil saw , drill press , file , taps , common sense and some patience . Will
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rotax

Dead stock porting and carbs , free air Rv TnT pipes . Will

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default This Is The Stuff That Makes Outboard Racing Efforts Legendary

You hear the rumours and than you see the products of a good imagination come to fruitition! Wow!!! Bravo! Bravo! From rotary to water cooled two stroke to air/fan cooled two stroke. You hear about this stuff and that it motors like crazy too. Well you see it! You don't necessarily need a Rossi, VRP, MacArelli, Konig or Yamato. See your local insurance salvage auctions and bid on insurance salvage jobs on every manner of snowmo sled or small two stroke bike that falls within Alky CC displacement limits, still use gasoline even and go like blazes! Your local older 2 stroke salvage yards could be equally productive too! Here is where need is the mother of invention and those mothers sure can move by all accounts! Bravo guys! Your results are impressive and the tools and patience are simple products of human nature.

This is what outboard racing can truly be about too!

Tomtall

Thumbs up Exotics

Waynn Baldwin posted this in one of his threads. Can someone elaborate about this engine. Wild looking!

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 8 cylinder Yamato

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtall
    Waynn Baldwin posted this in one of his threads. Can someone elaborate about this engine. Wild looking!
    It looks like two opposed 4 cylinder Yamato's one on top of the other. Two real clues, one the carbs with direct induction, no rotary valves, and Jim McKean standing to the left of the engine. Also, Howard Andy Anderson in the white T-Shirt looking on in the background.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Coolest Race Engines

Hi All
    I Had The Honor To Ride Deck With Bill When He Set Record Over 100mph I Think It Was Norris Town Pa. I Remember We Went Over 102mph Into The Wind And Bill Was Concerned About Down Wind Run And Asked Me To Get Back As Far As I Could.he Pushed Me Back With His Foot And Held Me There Against Transom. I Finally Sat On Rear Deck And Held Onto Steering Bar.well He Set Record. After We Went Thru Traps, Bill Turned Around And Said He Could No Longer Find Me With His Foot,and Thought I Fall Out The Back. I Thanked Him For Not Stopping.but I Told Him I Still Loved Him. Honord Nick Cerino

Thread Information