Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Coolest racing engine of all time???

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1750xs

The 1750XS was the best large race engine I every had. It was trouble free and great performance. Ran SST120 all season and just changed plugs. Its in my picture here with the red & blue tunnel.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1967 GT115 and its a beauty!

I like the old OMC V4 race motors the best.....GTs, KCs and KRs.
    Dad raced them for 20 years.
    This one is still like new! Part of a private collection.
    Had to take some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 6 pipes- 6 carbs - Two different engines

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    Jeff--Was the Lon Stevens Merc with the six pipes or the right side or a Merc Quincy flathead like this? You know Jeff, I swear when I started scanning this photo I had the brief smell of that fuel blend from Californie (forgot the name) that had something extra that made it smell different from regular castor oil/methanol blend.
    6 pipes=quincy looper. the 6 carb engine was (is ) a stevens merc. That fuel you smelled was probably "blenzall Gold Label. " it had in it (each can 15&3/4OZ. ) 5 OUNCES OF CASTOROIL & NITRO PROPANE &ISOPROPANOL. tHE BLENZALL PEOPLE CALLED THE NITRO "OIL OF MERBANE". I still have a un opened can Lon gave me 30 plus years ago. Lon used to sell the Blenzall products &Baker's racing Castor

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Blenzall

a motorcycle magazine (Dirt Bike-I think) way back, tested some oils & power boosters , on a 2 stroke 250 single , and found that the Blenzall boosted it's power output by 15 % .......P S, you add one can to one gallon of gas (or alky)

Post Thanks / Like

I looked up "oil of merbane" all the results say it is nitrobenzene, very toxic stuff but a very potent power increaser. Nitropropane is a another oxidizer/power increaser (not as toxic as nitrobenzene, but almost nothing is), isopropanol is rubbing alcohol, which was probably included to keep all the weird ingredients mixed together
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default yer right

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H
    I looked up "oil of merbane" all the results say it is nitrobenzene, very toxic stuff but a very potent power increaser. Nitropropane is a another oxidizer/power increaser (not as toxic as nitrobenzene, but almost nothing is), isopropanol is rubbing alcohol, which was probably included to keep all the weird ingredients mixed together
    Yeah, i'd forgot it was nitrobenzene, the early cans said so on the label, but later Blenzall thought that "oil of merbane " looked less offensive" (or toxic?) , and maybe it would hide the fact it was a power booster?( Lon Stevens suggested THAT .)

Tomtall

Thumbs up Soriano outboards

I find myself going back to this web site time and time again. The Soriano outboards of the 1930's were truly a mechanical marvil. Now to be considered as rare as any outboard ever built. The web site can be seen at http://www.soriano-outboard.com/4436/index.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtall
    I find myself going back to this web site time and time again. The Soriano outboards of the 1930's were truly a mechanical marvil. Now to be considered as rare as any outboard ever built. The web site can be seen at http://www.soriano-outboard.com/4436/index.html
    Wow! A few new pictures, much more in the captions! If you've been there before, you need to go back and see what Marc has dug up! Fantastic stuff!
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default S-3000 Mercury

With the two stroke being on the "ENDANGERED" list this Mercury S-3000 stil has to be one of the coolest OUTBOARD ever built...

V-6, 150 cubic inches, 300 plus horsepower.. Fuel injected....

I've owned and busted a lot of outboards, most were V-6...Evinrudes...then Mercs, 2.4's, then Yamahas... This S-3000 is a sweet piece...

A coil per cyclinder, injectors for each cyclinder...aluminum block, with nikacil "Chrome" cyclinder liners... A very straight forward engine, with a TON OF HORSEPOWER.... and our government doesn't want them to make it anymore...

Thread Information