Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Coolest racing engine of all time???

Post Thanks / Like

The pix above, an outboard and three unlimiteds, are one of Ron Anderson's Anzanis on Don's DeSilva, a Merlin, and two Allisons.

Jeff, the difference in the mounting brackets of the megaphones on the two Anzanis you show tells me that the first is a Seattle-style engine (I think Sutter came up with those brackets in the early '60s) and the second is a Tenny-style motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, there's another keeno engine that somebody has a picture of, I hope, and that is a Harrison 4-carb A or B with the cast megaphones which wrapped down alongside the towerhousing before pointing aft. They had a flange for mounting accessory baffle-cones, which turned the megaphones into bounce-pipes (okay, expansion chambers). The Harrisons turned out a lot of neat stuff in the '60s; Kay came out to Yelm in about 1966 and set a B Hydro record, and maybe B Runabout, too.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Coolest racing engine

Here is one of Billy Seebold's Merc's from 1973
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This powerplant is Bob Hering's--1979

Post Thanks / Like

Default Late 80's Mod OMC

I allways liked this one too. Very impresive work !
    Jeff 93-C

Post Thanks / Like

//////////
    http://www.spnmotorsports.com

Go Fast - Turn Left!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1100 cc Runabout, Fales/Langdon Looper

Found this photo from the 1972 Pro Nationals in Depue. Bill Fales with his potent Fales/Langdon Looper setting up his rig before the first heat. This was some impressive engine.
    Last edited by Bob Rusnak; 05-22-2005 at 03:55 PM.
    Bob Rusnak

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default British Anzani - Those Cast Iron Block Loopers!

Some real facinating to even downright scary, these British made twins that came in 250, 322 and 350 CC versions, initially as stock outboard racers in Britan were imported by Bill Tenney back in the 1960s, converted to Alky and run as A and B Alkys both in the USA and in Canada with some real startling results. Back around 1980 the B Alky record was reset to about 101 miles per hour with some runs to 103 and even to 107 miles per hour where the engine worked fine but the raceboats became the scary item that could no longer contain the engine.

Since I was a teen running a Ogier and Merc KG9 back in the later 1960s, these Anzani engines like their competitors as in the Quincy Flatheads and Konigs were just like any other Alky to this teenager.....impossible financially plus there was word that you had to be "a somebody" in outboard racing to even get one and that was pricey those days in relation to Merc KG9s or Merc 40Hs for a student like myself where even a Merc 30H and 55H hurt your pocketbooks until you got educated and have a regular job! In any case by the 1980s getting some of these miraculous Anzanis, I dreamed of as a teenager in the 1960s became possible just before 1980 and then by some luck more so in the 1990s when they had pretty much disappeared from race courses. When Bill Tenney passed away I inherited the remaining engines and parts stock to build another 5 engines, 1 brand new one as a B-Stock Racer and 5 more as A, B and twin block versions of a C or D. The pictures will give you some idea of the engines already built as well as the stock of parts (not all shown) to build a lot more.

Enjoy some of the pictures that I have in the garage, the B and the parts and in my rec-room sharing space with Quincy Flathead class F (F-18). I will put some more updates in soon as the Anzani twin block (4 cylinders) is coming close to final assembly.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default British Anzani Second Picture Batch

A Second Batch Of Pictures Of Anzanis

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Third Picture Batch

More British Anzani pictures to enjoy.

Thread Information