Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: help urgently needed with OZ resto

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default help urgently needed with OZ resto

I am seeking assistance with the resto of the old Van der Velden Carlsberg Spalding/Seebold boat from circa 1979. This was purchased in a solid but sorry state last year by my friend who has a lot if deep v experience but no hydro. The hull is close to being finished, but we lack engine/leg. I am acutely aware of the issues re modern power on a old boat coupled with no hydro experience, so my friend who will be the only driver is being nagged re safety etc every time we speak. He prefers boats to computers so asked me to seek advice/help on how we get the old girl right to run at Coniston speed records week in November of this year, where Bob Spalding already ran a 129 when the boat was 'in service'. We have ruled out period V8/V6 engines due to rarity/cost/weight(V8) etc so are heading towards more modern power with a suitable leg etc. The UK is not the right place to deal with this however, so I was kinda relieved to find BRF. Wish it was easier to move to the States.....all suggestions gratefully accepted and thanks for reading this!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some form of a Mercury F2 sounds ideal. Plenty of legs and gearboxes around and Mercury hasn't changed much other than cowling and decals since 1979. Use whatever 2.0/2.4/2.5 powerhead you wish.

OMC power would require some luck to find and would probably be expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a complete running V8 OZ motor for the boat, if you're gonna want to 130mph you'll need that or a 2.5L Merc which I could supply complete also, contact me at billgohr@aol.com

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help and advice gentlemen. Bill, I will send you an e mail a little later. Here's another picture for light relief.

Huw
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I know a lot of time has passed but I'd be really interested to hear about the progress of this project

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there

My friend has completed the hull repairs and prep, and obtained a modern Mercury race motor for her. He is running a 16 foot hydro in the meantime with a small engine as an experience building exercise on the Bristol Channel. Jon has also had some advice re handling from a friend who used to race hydros - they certainly need to be treated with respect. I don't think he will return her to Carlsberg colours for now, and using an original V8 F1 engine was also rejected which will probably be a wise choice in the end. The sound will be a loss though! I watched some footage of a guy in Australia shaking down a Molinari with a v8 on her on You Tube, absolutely magnificent. I keep an eye on the web in case another one of these old boats comes up for restoration one day, they are a truly beautiful shape.

Once the boat is back in the water I'll take some pics and post them.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll look forward to seeing these pictures. My dad was a photographer when this boat was racing and so has tons of pictures of it in it's heyday - the current boats captivate me but this is the image of powerboat racing that I have grown up with

Thread Information