Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25 OMC Mods

Post Thanks / Like

Default 25 OMC Mods

I just got my hands on a 25 OMC. What can be done. I know that their are some of you here that don't "LIKE" to give away all the secrets, but come on now guys, someone has to carry on when you guys give it up. Yall can PM me with what don't need to be put out thier for general population.

This will be a pump gas motor, short shaft, factory lower with low water pickup. It needs to last for a little while. And needs to stay somewhat on the quiet side. Other than that no rules.

These are my plans, correct me or enlighten me, or just add to it.
    1. big carb
    2. fiber reeds, cut cage
    3. port job, finger ports
    4. polished exhast, port tuner or mod it, leave bottom closed
    5. lighten rods, pistons, flywheel.
    6. balance all parts
    7. tune timing and jets.

Thanks for any input.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes, it will all be 35 stuff to start out with.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

find some new, old style high ring pistons.
    Great for any crossflow

Post Thanks / Like

can I swap from cross flow set up to a loop charged? or does the porting clash? Any one make heads or pistons for it? What about tuner specs with out going to the megaphone set up?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you planning on racing it or just running it for fun? If you plan on racing it, sanctioning body rules regulate what you can and can't do to the engine. There's not a whole lot you can do to them if you plan on racing it.

Austin Duggan, 78M

Post Thanks / Like

2 rules for me, pump gas, noise level. Anything eles goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 88workcar View Post
    2 rules for me, pump gas, noise level. Anything eles goes.
    Sooo, you came to the right place but more 411 needed. What year 25 is it? 76 & under will be 22ci these are raced & can be fast but are run with a megaphone usually. 77 & up is 31.8ci, like the 22s big cousin they have alot more torque but in stock form are only a little faster. What kind of boat are you going with ?
    To make a looper out of it... I dont know but the deflecter pistons would probably have to go. If it is a 31.8 the hi ring pistons will work but you need to be sure the wrist pin is the same, 2 sizes there. Ive heard the yay & nay about comp reeds but from my experience they will do well in a 31.8, dont know about the 22s tho. On a 31.8 Ive tried the biggest typical OMC carb thatll bolt up, [largest venturi & 1 1/2 bore at the manifold] will knock 2 mph off, run ya rich & rob your acceleration. The 2nd largest of the 4 Ive seen has done best for me. 1 3/8 bore at manifold & slightly smaller venturi. On the 22s my belief is the stock carb is optimal.

Post Thanks / Like

The power head is a mid 80s 35, hull is a small light tunnel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 88workcar View Post
    The power head is a mid 80s 35, hull is a small light tunnel
    Nice, have you run it yet? & if so Id get actual speed, RPMs listed & kept as a benchmark for what happens next.
    One thing I did was to put a 35 powerhead on a 25 mid/gearcase w/o thru hub exhaust. Is said that the thru hub exhausts better but your advantages are a better gear ratio, more easily adapted props [by putting the propshaft assembly in from a 22ci you get a pin drive setup that will need to be drilled to 1/4 pin] & the clamp setup is alot lighter. The motor Im talkin about weighs 86 lbs & is on a pals hydro. Even tho this hydro weighs about 290- driver it does 50+.
    If you keep the thru hub, performance props are made for that. Theres a race class, Mini GT thats about what you have Id guess, a prop is for sale on ebay now I think. Of the 31.8s the 35 is fairly awsome as is, If you square up the ports on top Itll net some top end power, Id avoid widening for cooling purposes & advise against changing the time as Ive never heard of a set of specs to do this motor with. Milling the head could help as well as the reeds. All said & done the real secret here is props, setup, testing & props.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile omc 25 hp mods

How Much Can Are Able To Mill The Head ??, Using 93 Octane Gas & 30 Degrees Timing ? On That 1990, 3.000 Bore Size Pistons .

.020" Or Maybe .030" ??

Regards,
    Don

Thread Information