Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Craig Craft

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here you go David - the good old days...........

Here is your boat in 1971 at Quincy, WA - Crecent Bar - on the Columbia River. That is me driving and my number was 136-R that year - the class is A Stock Hydro, running a Mercury KG-4 motor. The second photo shows it in the race - and the boat behind me is Gerry Hopp. Gerry is still racing - although now he races Unlimiteds - a slight step up from A Stock Hydro....

Here it is right before I sold it with my dad racing his one race in A Stock Hydro - 1972 at Rockaway Beach, Oregon. The motor on this one is a Merc Mark 15.

Here is a nearly identical "sister ship" - also made in 1971 by Craig Craft - this shot of Jill Kingdon (my wife of 30 years) in 1971 winning the "Powder Puff" ASH race at Silver Lake in Everett. Every year we let the girls run an A Stock Hydro race at Silver Lake for the Powder Puff Trophy.

We had a lot of fun in those days huh Dean ?

Mark

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Craig Craft

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
    That is indeed my old boat – Craig Selvidge and I built it in the winter of 1970-1 and I raced it in the 1971 season in Region 10 in the A Stock Hydro class with a KG-4 Merc. I have some photos of it when it was new and while I was racing in those days. It was a very fast boat - built it in Edmonds on the waterfront in a building that burned down in the late 70's.

That particular design was influenced in part by Hedlund Hydros - guys from
    60's in Illiniois - in part by a great woodworker who built airplanes and other cool things named Jim Jatho, that helped Craig Selvidge and all of us in the very early days, and part by Criag's own ideas. In 1972 the designs wwere changed a bit - there were maybe 5 or 6 of the Hedlund/Jatho/Craig style boats made like this one. This one was mostly made of 3 mm Ultilie and was light as a feather.

I will try to find some photos of it when it was new and post them.

Mark Demaray
    Mark,

I knew that you would respond. Didn't you win the Nationals with this boat?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

John - I did not win the Nationals in that boat - although it was fast enough to have won in its day. I built a new boat every year in those days with changes in design each time - and usually sold my old one each year to pay most of my college tuition for the year.

I won the A Stock Hydro Nationals in 1977 on Lake Ming at Bakersfield, CA in a boat I finished building 2 weeks before that race. I put a lot of design changes into that one that made it much faster thru the turns (including an off-set cockpit & stepped sponsons). Here is a photo of that one from 1978 at Silver Lake in Everett taken from the wonderful book of Bob Carver's photos (available at the Hydroplane musuem - you all should buy this book). I am in the 1-US boat.

That is Ed Karelson's son John Karelson in the 90-R (Rest in Peace John - John was just a wonderful young man who died a few years after this shot in a tragic testing accident), that would be Brian Anderson on the inside in 546-R - and although I am not certain, it may very well be none other than the now world famous announcer and vocalist Patrick Gleason in the X boat.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Those are beautiful boats. They show an advanced understanding of aerodynamics for the time period they were made.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Way Too Much Fun !!!

[QUOTE We had a lot of fun in those days huh Dean ?

Mark[/QUOTE]

Mark,

Yes we did.... way too much fun !!!!! I had a Hedlund in those days.

I think Neal Baum had one of the Hedlund/Jatho/Craig/Mark boats also.

Deano
    Dean Hobart

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dean, don't you have a couple of 45's? Where are your pictures?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat

Mark,
    Thank you for all the pictures. When I get the boat going it will be up at lake cavanaugh and you are more than welcome to come out and take it for a drive if you want... Does anyone have any idea of where i might be able to find a old racing merc like this boat should have I want to keep my motor pretty stock but maybe stacks would be ok.-Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good idea......

Check with A/B Speedliner here on BRF. Should be able to get you smokin' in no time...........
    Charley Bradley

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll have to pay but....
    from time to time they show up on ebay.
    There is 20 h on ebay now without the "toilet Bowl" conversion. It would be a option for you
    Here's the link
    ahttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130324136047&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en
    Bunker

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ya Gotta' Love It !!!!!!!

Mark,

Check this out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deano..................................
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dean Hobart

Thread Information