Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: craig craft

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I found a few more photos of the early Craig Craft hydros - these taken by the great Bob Carver, appeared in the July 31, 1971 Seattle Times sports section reporting on the hydro races at Seattle's Green Lake - where the Stock Outboard Nationals were held in 1968 (sorry for the poor quality but the paper is pretty old and yellowed). We had at least one Green Lake race each season at Green Lake - it's a park right in the middle of the city, and it drew over 100,000 spectators. But with neighborhood complaints and noise issues, increasing fire code issues and insurance requirements, it seems that we were all incorrect in thinking that a park should be used for events of great public interest, so it is no longer a race venue. Too bad as it always drew a lot of interest and therefore, new people to the sport.

This one shows first turn action in ASH with Dan Mackle on the inside in a Karelsen boat, me in 136-R in the middle (the same boat that David posted a the start of this thread that I built in 1971) and it looks to be Jeff Reins in the original "Blimp Craft" on the outside.

This one shows Mike Selvidge, Greg and Craig's little brother, when he spun out in the second elimination heat of ASH. Bob Carver was uncanny in his ability to forcast and photograph action shots of flips. Not sure who is there on the outside of him - could be Bob Wartinger as I do not recall many other folks that wore a bubble visor like that. Bob did not often run A, but everyone ran every class they could at Green Lake.

Mark

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Picture of My Craig Craft hydro

I ran across this photo of My A/15 MD built Craig Craft.
    This was taken in early 1974 at Ocoee Florida

Cooper
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Coop,

I remember the boat. It was sharp! We didn't see too many of those in region 7. When I first saw those, I thought they were so revolutionary for the time. The front cowling is very similar to what we have today. They were one of the first with all wood decks too.

It would be hard to decide which were the most pretty hydro between Shannon's round nose and Craigs.

Also, got to love the picture of Dick Lovelace's D Stippich quack.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great photos

Thanks Mark for the great photos. I agree that Ron and Ted have created a great website here. What are the chances of you converting Jim's old video to a DVD? I sure would like to see it. Holler if you need help.

Thread Information