Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: craig craft

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default craig craft

What is the history of Craig craft? who built these boats? where there many made? where were the boats made? I am really interested in the history of my boat and would love to know more about them. so any history or info would be great!

Composite Specialties

Default Craig

Designed by Craig Selvidge and built by Craig and his brother Greg out of the Seattle, Washington area. I purchased a set of his plans back in the 70's and we built the boat in our basement. Craig's plans were the best and was the sole model that I used when I started making and selling plans.

Some of the teams using CraigCrafts back then was Craig and Greg, Jan Christ, The Shuman brothers and I remember one D-Stock hydro that they built for the Hinton, Wva Stock Nationals. My brother Chris Johnson also had Jan Christ's record setting A-Stock hydro that we had shipped from Washington state to North Carolina.

Then came the copies of the CraigCraft..... and there were many.

JW Myers knows Craig well.... get in touch with JW to find out more history.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default thank you

How car I tell if the boat was built by craig or from plans of his my boat is signed craig craft and then it says who it was made for...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigcraftdave View Post
    How car I tell if the boat was built by craig or from plans of his my boat is signed craig craft and then it says who it was made for...
    what does the dashboard look like???? post a pic and Ill try to help you out.

Carl

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not that its a big deal, but just to correct a few things MJR said above:

Designed by Craig Selvidge and built by Craig and his brother Greg out of the Seattle, Washington area.
    Greg was there at the shop and he took care of us for sure, but it was mostly Craig and I that were building the boats in the early days - Joe Price helped some as well the first year or so and lived at the shop for a while.

Some of the teams using CraigCrafts back then was Craig and Greg, Jan Christ, The Shuman brothers and I remember one D-Stock hydro that they built for the Hinton, WVa Stock Nationals. My brother Chris Johnson also had Jan Christ's record setting A-Stock hydro that we had shipped from Washington state to North Carolina.
    All of those folks did run Craig Crafts - we (Craig, me and Joe Price) built and did most all of the work on the Shuman's J's. Jan Christ mostly ran B Stock Hydro - sometimes 25SSH - but actually, I do not think Jan ever set a record in an ASH - I was the main ASH driver and most all of the ASH boats in those days were mine. I set the ASH Kilo in '71 or '72, and the 1 1/4 mile comp record in '77. We built and sold a few other hydros - Doug Boyer in Mich got a BSH - in the ASH class, Steve DeFeo from NJ won the nationals in my '72 ASH in '73 and again in '74 in a new boat Craig made for him (my old boat was 2nd that year). From about '74-'78, I made a number of ASH and 15SSH boats - but called them MD Boats from '74 on. Shipped them to Mass, Calif, and a few others. Craig made a few hydros after that as well but mostly made runabouts. We were both fortunate to win the nationals in '77 - I won ASH, Craig won ASR and BSR that year - and most of the crew pretty much quit racing full time by the end of '78-79. Craig made a few boats after that and sold a lot of plans. I still stay in touch with Craig and Greg as well as many other wonderful friends from those days.

Mark Demaray

Composite Specialties

Default updates and corrections

Hey Mark, thanks for the updates and corrections. The boat we had shipped to us was Jan's boat, he told us he set a ASH record with it... who knows.

Who was the DSH boat for that year at Hinton, WVa nationals?

Post Thanks / Like

I just left the Craig Craft Word Headquarters in Devil's Lake Oregon Yesterday morning.
    Things to come.....

J-Dub

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

JW -I talked to Craig last week and heard about some cool new things to come. Sounds like fun. He and Greg have made some very cool hot rods in recent years. He is always doing something fun. Nice Avtar shot by the way.......that one must have hurt.

MJR - I will ask Craig about the DSH as I have a vague recollection of it - but he would have made that one himself as I was working full time for OMC then. I drove the rig with most of the boats, Craig's brother Mike, and the Shuman kids to Hinton in '76 and I did not take a DSH. We went home by way of Winnona, MN to the Pro Nationals, stopped for a few days and ran the 125cc Hydro there.

Mark

Composite Specialties

Default Plans

I still have my original Craig-Craft plans for the ASH I built and I still have the original Craig-Craft decal somewhere in the shop.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 25mh

My Dad won a lot of Nationals and high points in a Craig Craft racing in 25MH. I think it was an original and not a copy, but I am not 100% certain. He barrell rolled in in Rising Sun Indiana many many years ago and the boat was destroyed by another driver going through it. That was one winning boat for sure. I bet he would still be winning in it had it survived. Dad gave the class up after that.

Thread Information