Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Call For History Of Local Racing Clubs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Call For History Of Local Racing Clubs

Before older members of existing and defunct racing clubs are no longer able to share history, memories and photos, we should make a record of the clubs, their members and activities for posterity. They were and are important not only to racing but also to our national and local cultural and sports heritage.

Region 11 is to be commended for posting old region 11 meeting minutes on its old website back to the 1930s. Beyond that, in combing the internet I find very little or nothing at all about some of the associations that I knew or was a member of in former times. Livermore Outboard Association, East Bay Boat Club, Manitoba Outboard Racing Association and the races that were sponsored by the Mariposa Yacht Club and so many more that I can remember. Every area has or had them and they are fading from the collective memory. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be. On the other hand, it would be great if people who know or knew these groups could record those memories in BRF. So,contribute your recollections or pictures or collections. If you know others that can, encourage them to contribute or do it with them. They may not know about BRF and that their/our history is important. Hopefully, there is backup of BRF so that if and when it goes out of existence that all of this great material collected until now and thereafter is not lost.

As sportspeople, we must preserve our evolution and history because mainstream media has largely forgotten about our sport.

bill boyes

East bay boat club is still very active in Region 11.

Post Thanks / Like

Default N.i.o.r.a.

I started out in racing with the Northwestern Illinois Outboard Association in 1976. No scales, no inspection, no hassles, run what you brung and have a good time. Whatever hp your motor was rated at, that's the class you ran it in. We raced a Junior class(7.5hp), 18hp, 25hp, 35hp and 40hp. All classes ran with stock (service) lower units.

I think I'm the only active racer left from the NIORA. Bummer.

You can read a little more, and see some photos on my web page:
    http://jeff55v.tripod.com/id30.html
    Jeff Yungen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bill boyes View Post
    East bay boat club is still very active in Region 11.
    I am aware that EBBC exists and is active. But-there is no public record of its very interesting history which dates back more than 50 years. I would wager that not many current EBBC members or non-members know much about what EBBC was doing, say in the 50s or 60s. So, EBBC is a good example of what we are losing even though it still is active. I for one, would like to see the pictures from old races.

The fact that EBBC exists does not tell us about the past. How about that fellow who disguised his KG7 as a KG4 but never took a first place because he did not want to be inspected. How about the chap who won all B races of EBBC for a while because he had the only Champion Hot Rod against the 20Hs? What was racing like at Fremont Marine Stadium? EBBC held races in Woodside on the Peninsula (which I reported on in BRF previously) and also in the Bay at Red Rock Marina with rollers and whitecaps. Why were their exclusively stock races separate from Alky races? Who was Will Adams, the Commodore for many years and what happened to him (passed away some years ago). Almost no one except for my old buddy Steve Wilde knows that Big Brother and the Holding Company of San Francisco and Janis Joplin fame played the EBBC banquet when they were starving and just before they hit the national charts. Many of the history items are of national and not just local interest like the specifics of the hot rod/ 20H rivalry (documented elsewhere as well).

Post Thanks / Like

Default Two northern Calif clubs

CCRA and WCOA . Both were pretty much marathon racing clubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Outboard Club of Chicago

Region 7 – Outboard Club of Chicago

Apparently, the club was started in the 40’s or 50’s as a well-to-do Alky Racing Club and died out in the early 60’s. The club was returned to life in the middle 60’s with the help of Char and Clyde Queen, Ray Hardy, Dean Wilson, Johnny Winzeler, Bud Finkle, and Homer Kincade. Larry Latta and Bill Kurps joined the “Chicago Gang” in the fall of 1966. Other members that I can recall where Ray Nydal, Bruce Summers, Flex and his son, Don Oberta, Barry Anderson, Ray Rodda, Rod Walk, and too many that I have forgotten.

We put on a number of Boat Racing Booth Displays, in Chicago, at the McCormick Place in the late 60’s & 70’s. We where strictly an Alky Club and ran a number of APBA (PRO) Alky Nationals at Depue Illinois in the 60’s & 70’s. We also put on races in Springfield IL, Chicago IL, Taylorville IL, Keokuk IL, Des Moines Iowa, and Omaha Nebraska.

Our club members attended many of the NOA Michigan Outboard Races in Region 6, filling in the field for the smaller classes “A” (250cc) and “B” (350cc) classes.

We ran normally about 7 to 8 races per year at our events and at the other Region clubs. It was a great time to race Alky Outboard Hydros & Runabouts.

Bill Kurps V-15, V-13, & later Z-13

Post Thanks / Like

Default Eastern Outboard Racing Club, EORC

Eastern Outboard Racing Club, EORC has been around for a long time. Incorpoarated in the late 1940's and still running races. I was a member from the mid 1950's to the mid 1970's. There are and were many notable racers as members. Some are still active today. To name a few Pete Helsten, Pete Voss, Bill Fales, Bill Hocter, Dave Young, Howie Pickerell, Dick Scopinich, Jim Gohery and Doug Bindram. In 1969 I was the Secretary with Pete Hellsten as Commodore, Howie Pickerell as Vice Comadore, Bob Rusnack as Rear Commodore and Pete Voss as Treasurer. I have attached the 1969 Rule Book for those that are interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Allen J. Lang

Default Eorc

Hi Dave- As usual, my name was omitted from the roster. I was a member from 1955 thru 1970 when I gave it up. It was my club membership to run APBA events. Boy, do I remember most of the names. Was good times and do keep in touch with some of them. I have renewed my membership to see what is happening back on the Island.
    Thanks for the posting.
    Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al

Allen J. Lang

Default EORC-Bob Rusnak Chime In

Hey Bob- you have a good coverage of information of EORC. How about adding to Dave's posting.
    Al

Allen J. Lang

Default Eorc

If you check out Boat Sport web site, the third issue outlines the start of EORC in Outlaws Of Long Island. Good shot of Elly Langdon and Art and Dot Hilton running FRR.
    Reading the article and seeing the pictures brings back old memories.

Thread Information