Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NOA, NOAA any info

Post Thanks / Like

Default NOA, NOAA any info

I was told that this organization at one time allowed for a 90 yamaha to be raced against the SST60 engines. I would love to see a picture of one. Thanks.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 88workcar View Post
    I was told that this organization at one time allowed for a 90 yamaha to be raced against the SST60 engines. I would love to see a picture of one. Thanks.
    The SST60 was not in existence when NOA raced. The 90 Yamaha raced against the modified OMC's of the day. The 90 powerhead was mounted on a 2 cylinder 60 Mariner short housing. It was the same bolt pattern. I had just built a 4 cylinder 85 Merc with 4 carbs that was very competitive with the Yamaha. The organization folded before I got the bugs worked out. James Blake had the 90 Yamaha. I helped him assemble it after Jr Eaves did the machine work. It made the other motors pretty much compete for 2nd place.

Post Thanks / Like

That is the same story that I was told 5 days ago. How do I get in touch with James Blake. Does he live in Soddy Daisy, TN.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was there when this went on. Allowing the 90 Yamaha powerhead to run on the smaller leg and lower was a very bad decision. The old NOA rules stated that the engine had to be "stock appearing". Stock appearing to who?? Put a dollar amount on the machining that had to be done and there is the reason not to allow it.
    Outboard Model Concepts
    RC Mod-VP hulls
    Distributor for HTB Tunnels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yamaha.

A friend of mine has what i think was the last one running. This one was on a V bottom. I thought i could get a pic. of it but called just now, an he no longer has it. Blake may have a pic. of his but he no longer has it. Sam was right about The OMC's running for second place but remember they were 49 cu. an the Yamaha was 69 cu. an both were Looper's wonder why they did not run the 70 Yamaha that was i think was 49 cu. I guess we know that. The class in NOA was 40 to 70 cu. so it could run but should not have been on the Mariner lower unit. This was one of the worse things that happen to NOA, it killed a class that had a full field of boat's. get the feeling I didn't like the Yamaha even if Blake an I were on the same Team. The first time one showed up on a V bottom, a very out spoken owner Roger Prosser said at the drivers meeting they have already killed the Tunnel class, now they are trying to kill the V bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

I do agree with all said, that was before my time, didn't seem fair. My only interest is to speak to those who built the 90 Yammies. I want to built one that will make good power. I have one built off of the 60 Mariner and just picked up a mint 60 mariner for a secound build. It was not a bad job at all. On the first I am running the bigger 90 case, on the next I will use the smaller 60 case. Thanks for any help. And I would love to see a 90 on a tunnel.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yamaha

There were a couple that ran well with the big case but ran Merc props that were very high $ some around $1000.00 back then. with low water pick up an nose cone. The Mariner unit had to have the same thing. JR Eaves put finger ports an other mods in them. I think he was around Soddy Tn, Sam may know for sure. If you can fine Glen Renoles (sp) a drag racer from around Kinston Tn he may be of some help, a guy in Kingston named Oran had one of the faster ones, Glen would know if he is still around. but Eaves did the motor work. we build a couple but that was a long time ago. Good luck with this i will try to get a pic. from Blake for you. My other post was just to tell the racing History of this motor.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr Eaves did live in Soddy Daisy. He past away a few years ago, I think one of his son's is still in the business. The only machining that was done was to the powerhead internals. Nothing had to be done to the Mariner mid for it to fit.

At the NOA nationals in 1985, the 4 cylinder Merc I built finished 2nd. It had speed on the Yamaha but had starting problems. One of the heats the Merc ran down and passed the Yamaha. This is the only picture I've been able to find of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Popa Sam; 10-14-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: changed date

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glen Reynolds

Here's the link to:

Reynolds Racing and Marine
    1019 South Roane Street
    Harriman, Tennessee 37748
    865-882-9623 - Fax 865-882-6010
    Email - rrnmarine@aol.com

http://www.reynoldsracingmarine.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, pop, looks like you made a 650XS 4 cyl, I am in the process of doing some crazy stuff to a 3 cyl Jap block. I love this stuff.

Thread Information