Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NOA, NOAA any info

Post Thanks / Like

Default 85 Merc.

Sam, did you put a cut off T2X front on the 85 or was it home made. I don't remember seeing your motor but i didn't race after 85, after they let the Yamaha run Dad said that was it, an would did not run the 75 Tunnel any more. We could run with it on the top end but the jetty starts killed the 75. It did run one more time an beat the Yamaha but this was a outlaw race an no jetty start an we had it on Alky.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I cut the front of a T2. Had it mounted on a T2 mid with the 850xs gearcase. It was on Wedingcamp's Burgess. I was wrong about it being the last NOA nationals. It was the 85 nationals. The reason I know is the next year at Georgetown was when Mark stuffed it on the backstretch and split the boat in half. I got a local shrimper to drag the motor up for me. If it had been the 87 nationals then GT would not have run the next year. We never ran it again(no boat) so I sold it to Mark Trotter. I had planned to build another one to go on a new Burgess that the Wedingcamp boys had ordered. They never got the boat or their deposit back. In the same time frame NOA folded so there was no class for it anymore.

The big difference in the one I built and the other one that was running(Mike Trotter) was that I had a crank built that had the needle bearing mains between all cylinders like the T2. The one he was running didn't have that. It had the stock 85 crank.
    Last edited by Popa Sam; 10-14-2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: changed date

Post Thanks / Like

I remember the Merc that Mike Trotter ran I guess Red built it i think it did have the 4 carb's. I drove Danny Chichfield's (sp) tunnel he build for his 75 with a stock 90 Yamaha on it in Kingston Tn. This was after Danny was Killed an the boat was sold. Trotter got by me on the last lap with the Merc. I had no testing just got in the boat in the race with some test time i might have done better but the Merc was running good. Didn't the T2X have a diff. firing order than the T2 I know some people were putting T2X cranks in 150's but you know more about any of this than me you were the Merc man. I wish more people knew about this racing than do. NOA an Southern outboard had good races an pretty good money.

Post Thanks / Like

Trotter got by me on the last lap with the Merc.

but the Merc was running good.

Ok Danny we will speak of this no more, we don't talk like that round these parts, LOL.... Yall keep the stories comming, Pictures are begged for....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The one Trotter had did have the 4 carbs but still had the stock 85 crank with the reed blocks for support between some of the cylinders. The crank would flex a lot at high rpm. The only difference between the T2 and T2x was the length of the driveshaft housing. The power heads were the same. The T2 crank was different from the 150 in that it had the needle bearing mains between all the cylinders and the firing order was different. I could never get a T2 crank to run good in a 150, I thought because the exhaust plate was for a different firing order. The T2 exhaust plate would not fit under the 150 cowl.

The parts of the T2 that was used on the 4 cylinder were the front half, intake, reeds, carbs, timing belt and flywheel. The block, crank, rods and pistons were from the 85. I had the 85 crank built up and machined for needle bearing mains. If I had ever built another one it would have had the 700x pistons with finger ports and ADI ignition.

I found a VHS today that was from the nationals I spoke of earlier. Both the Yamaha 90's and the 2 Merc 4 cylinders were there. James Blake(Yamaha) won, Mark Wedingcamp(Merc) was second and Larry Oran(Yamaha) was third overall. I intend to get it put on a CD in the near future and will try to link to it when I do.

I'm with you Danny, on wishing more people knew what real racing was. NOA was not controlled by Merc and OMC like APBA was.
    Last edited by Popa Sam; 09-26-2009 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Input name.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark 75 what do you think about moving this to history. It was a part boat racing that was all most forgot an we can have more to come about it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NOA / SORA Races

Amen to the good racing that was put on by NOA in the 70's & 80's.

Being from South Carolina, and living 10 miles from "the Ditch", many good races & racers cut their teeth racing with the likes of Danny P, Rusty Camplell, Steve & Benny Robertson, "RED lantz, Bucky Morris, D.F. Jenkins, the Trotter Brothers, and many others from this area.

My Brother Ran a critchfield w/ POP power & I still have that powerhead. (built in 1980). The boat was red w/ Deputy dog on the bow.(My Brother was a deputy shheriff for Florence County).

Will never forget the Week we would spend @ Rocks Pond "preparing" for the race on Sunday. Its a miracle some of us made it to Sunday.

Have been away from boat racing for 25+ years & I really miss this.

Lawrence thornton

Post Thanks / Like

Default Noa

Sam, talked to an old firend of yours this weekend Teddy Hiott he lives just down the road from me.He had A Critchfield with a 90 Yamaha at the end of NOA it was one of our motors he said. We talked a lot about those days. He still has 2 Allisons with 2.5's to play with.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Noa Sora

Thorn, seems like i remember a boat called Deputy Dog, By a POP motor I guess you mean it was one of Dad's. I remember the Ditch if anybody saw it they would know why it was called that. It had a right hand dog leg in front of the pits an when the boats went around the curve they would disappear until they came back from the far turn. This was a fun place to race an had good support of the people around there. They paid like $ 500.00 to win U class in the mid 70's. to bad its gone.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Danny. I remember Teddy well. Glad to know he is well and still playing with fast boats.

Thread Information