Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NOA, NOAA any info

Post Thanks / Like

Every one that I speak to about it used to have a fast 90, where did they all go, got to be some parts lying around

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Video of Merc vs Yamaha at Portsmouth Ohio 1985.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 88workcar View Post
    Every one that I speak to about it used to have a fast 90, where did they all go, got to be some parts lying around
    The part that's hard to find is the short housing from the 2 cylinder 60 hp Mariner. Seems the 90 Yamaha powerheads should be plentiful.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats not the proplem popa, I have a whole 60, mint, setting in my shed. I also have another mid on my boat now, and yes stock powerheads are plentiful. I am looking for the ones that were built. Custom tuners, carbs, spacers, adapters, ect.... Blocks, even if it is junk now. Props. There is information in those old parts. I love the Vid, Thanks. Now post the one of the Yamaha handleing his buisness, LOL.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "the Ditch"

Danny P

Yes we have a pwrhead from your dad. He did it somewhere around 1978-1979..
    I worked for Ray Ellis in florence for quite a few years & we had some really good times traveling to Knoxville, lake Eufaula (sp) Savannah, Beafort (SC) to the races, During the days when Earl was driving for DF & Ben Robertson was known as "little Bennie"
    Another one of our racing companions was Red McEntyre. Red was really a hoot to be around & had one of the very few merc 65XS engines on a 14ft allison.
    Our boat was really fast off the beach (rocks Pond), but my brother was not the most agressive driver so we didn't finish well that often, but with that POP power, we could really "handle down the straights".

Currently building a small riverboat ( hightide brand, Bug Buster) w/ 45" evinrude for my nephew to play with. working bottom on boat now & hoping to have it in THE DITCH, next spring. No more 'PAGODA' at the landing, but decent concrete ramp & nice parking. Still red mud everywhere.

Those were the days.

Post Thanks / Like

Just sending this one to the top, Have any of you had luck in contacting the right folks for me? thanks
    Helping folks out around the globe.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Red McEntyre

I remember Red when he ran a 50 HP Merc an later the 650 xs. You talk about him being a hoot, one time at the Ditch he had the 650xs on his Allison this was after the 700x had come out. The rumor was that Red had a 700 power head with 650 cowl. This guy walks up to him an says is that a 650 or 700, Red looks at the motor an then at the guy an says can't you read. We all got a laugh out of that.

Post Thanks / Like

NOA allowed the larger displacement 90 Yamaha to be raced against the OMC 75 (40-70 c.i. class) in 1985, and that killed the class.

Quote Originally Posted by 88workcar View Post
    I was told that this organization at one time allowed for a 90 yamaha to be raced against the SST60 engines. I would love to see a picture of one. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree that without restrictions that, that was not fair by anyones standards. And also there was a class developed where the 90 ran against inlines and V4s and was quite competitive, then the rules allowed for some wild mods and from that piont on the V4s were unstopable and that killed a class. Rules are there for a reason. Here at home we just go play, it always turns into a race of some sort. Me haveing the smallest engine is a plus. If I get beat by a 2.5 or 2.4 or even a 2.6 No one can go brag, "yea I spanked that 90 with my 2.5" just doesn't get applause. I have never been at the back of the pack with my 90, acually closer to the front is most common. And the fellas that wind up behind me catch hell from thier buddies, Not me. I just enjoy going on the run.
    The biggest reason for starting this tread was to find the folks that have 90 parts that make one run, or the knowledge to do so. I have been directed to some knowledgable folks and have a few great conversations about the 90. It is a stong motor, and I will eventually get mine to make RPM, 7000 is not enough. I want more.
    Helping folks out around the globe.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NOA Nationals 1985

This the start of the 40-70 V class.

Thread Information