Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: My Kilo Motor

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

mmmmm,,,wow!!! some great info,,,,, just my .01 cent.... i would have to agree with tim,,, the most,,, with my 32 years raceing,,, and a bunch of records in the old days,,hehehe,,,, i always ran av gas mmm and reg 2-stroke oil,,,, merc or evinrude and not synthetic,,, av gas was and is always consistant 100 octane ,,,, slower burning of course,,, cause less air at altitude,,, but i always corrected with timeing,,,,, then ran the coldest plug could get!!! old trick learnt from bob wort and ed karelson,,,,, i personaly runmy 3 holer on 100 or 108 octane, fuel/gas,,, then one quart to 5 gallons,,,, soo what that about 16-1??????mm,,,, learnt fromtheold timers and it works,,,,,, when we set the d-stock kilo and comp record with the 44xs,,,we ran 2 quarts red line to 5gals,,,,mmmmmm.....was messy but haaa we set records,,, when i set 850 kilo at 104 mph was av gas and evinrude oil,, quart to 4 gals..... stillr un the same mix seems to work have gone leaner on oils,,,, just doesnt seem to be as good.... personel note that i think there is alot of additives in theoil these days,,,, and it adds hp,,,, hell see if it passes fuel meters,,, youd be surprised,,,,,,,the meter readings

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

also to your kilo try with your mod 50 motor,,,have you blue printed your bottom of the boat??,,, no woopdy's nice and flat?? as possible??... also i would think you need to spin the motor over 8k rpm,,,as we all doo when we race them{ the49.9 cubers} around here,,,,, that and throoo some timeing into it,,, but be careful with it that what melts 2-strokes down the most,,,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Formeone.. thanks for the info. i have done everything i think is right.. the bottom of the boat i havent touched, i think the boat doesnt need touching, she did 75mph with a single throat 75 just fingerported.. 2-1 ratio and 12x23.. im adding a tonne of power up top im keeping the same prop.. i have a few props the two i will choose from are twins except one is thinned, the thinned one is good for an extra 2.1mph. im changing the ratio to 1.85-1 im taking it out tonight (in about 9 hrs) to see what it does..

will post photos and readings later.

Rob

p.s. todays going to be a long day at work!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

if ya put straight edge under bottom just to check,,,, it only take 1 minute,,, then ya know for sure,,, takes less hp to push a straight bottom than a hooked one????...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

also hold straight edge on side of gearcase,,, see if straight,,,you might be surprised,,,any scratches or whoopdy"s on side of gearcase sucks more air to prop or pushes water away if cae not straight,,,,,,i re conture raceing case even so we handle and go faster,,,,,

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Where were you measuring those temperature changes?
    coolant, plug, exhaust gas, or are we talking air cooled.

Why were the manufacturers running avgas? wouldn't this give answers that differed from the 99% of the production units that only saw pump gas.

It would be fasinating to read of what you remember of the manufacturers testing methodology.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by formeone View Post
    also hold straight edge on side of gearcase,,, see if straight,,,you might be surprised,,,any scratches or whoopdy"s on side of gearcase sucks more air to prop or pushes water away if cae not straight,,,,,,i re conture raceing case even so we handle and go faster,,,,,
    Cheers mate i will do that for sure.. ill slide her back on the trailer a little.. as you can see from my pic she sits perrrrfect.

the gearcase has two very little marks in the side of it.. i took all the paint off it.. i will check that too (straight) and fill these two marks in..

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The thermocouples we used where all buried in the alum. The temps that we took where located at the Spark plug boss and four other places right above the exhaust port and around the cylinders. In other words at the back, the two sides and at the exhaust port. These where air cooled snowmobile engines (all OMC engines). Again the biggest increase in temps was 20 to 25 degrees and was measured at the exhaust port, which was between 420 degrees and 450 degrees. Please understand that this is not the exhaust temp but the cylinder temp at the exhaust port. The other four points showed temp rises also, but at lesser amounts. Like I said all dyno runs at OMC unless told otherwise where run at 16:1 oil mix (OMC) oil) and regular gas. Would also like to state that until 1972, all OMC snowmobiles where to be run on 24:1 mix

At Mercury the Temps where measured with copper washers connected to thermocouples and placed under the spark plug. We used 18:1 oil mix (Mercury oil) with Avgas because they where both racing engines. The snowmobile engines (Snow Twister) where Canadian built Kolhers air cooled engines and the C-6 was of course water cooled. I was not there when the 1976 Snow Twister came out, it was liquid cooled.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks that's fascinating, was a reason ever reached to account for these rises & is it safe to assume that due to your location all temps are in F?

All the interesting info was garnered in the pre PC days & getting a glimpse of those hand written log books is very unlikly, even if they haven't already contributed to global warming.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seagull 170 View Post
    Thanks that's fascinating, was a reason ever reached to account for these rises & is it safe to assume that due to your location all temps are in F?

All the interesting info was garnered in the pre PC days & getting a glimpse of those hand written log books is very unlikely, even if they haven't already contributed to global warming.
    The first OMC snowmobile was built in Canada in 1965 and Engineering was moved to Milwaukee in late '66 or early '67. It was located at the new assembly plant on 64th street, four blocks north of Capital DR. It was then relocated in Waukegan in the fall of '73, I think that was Edgar Rose's idea. I know all this is off topic, but since you are interested, I don' mind. Well anyway we all know what happened to engineering in Waukegan, it is among the late and lamented. Getting back to your questions, we ran the oil mix test one ratio right after each other to control the tests. We believed that the addiction oil helped cool. As far as test results go, I have copies of many tests we ran. We ran one engine that Mark75 would be interested in. It was a 500 cc Koing outboard of which I have copies of the dyno run and engine survey. All temps where read in F and not C.

Thread Information