Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Legendary Dub Parker's B Looper found!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Legendary Dub Parker's B Looper found!

I was contacted this past week by someone inquiring about their Quincy Looper, FB-125. Upon checking the original Quincy Welding serial number production records, I found out that this Looper was originally owned by the famous boat racing legend, W. J. (Dub) Parker.

I've copied from the www.QuincyLooperRacing.us web site some info we have posted on the Legends page regarding Dub:

Dub Parker was well known within the racing community. In August of 1962, at a NOA event in Alabama, Dub won A Hydro, B Hydro, B Runabout, C Hydro and took 2nd in A Runabout and X Hydro. The following is taken from the 1967 DePue, Illinois, APBA Nationals Race Program: "W.J. (Dub) Parker, 46 years old, Gadsen, Alabama is married and has one child. Dub has been racing 21 years in A-B-C-D Hydro and Runabouts but prefers the B & C Hydro classes. He was awarded the Col. Green Trophy for the most points won in the Florida Citrus Circuit and the Wynn's Friction Mechanic of the Year Award. In 1965 he held the C Hydro record at Lakeland, FL as well as the B Racing Runabout. Dub likes to fly planes (he's no slouch on the water either) in his spare time and his family thinks boat racing is great. His occupation is Mechanic & Department Manager in a glass company. Dub builds the Dubinski boat and does his own mechanical work.

At the time of Dub's death, my father and I were in serious discussion with Dub about him running one of our Quincy Z engines. What a shame that it never came to pass, for it may have quite possibly created some interesting boat racing history, to say the least.

The 1st photo is of Dub's B Looper from the current owner. The 2nd photo is of Dub from a 1962 race program.

Regards,

Paul A. Christner

PS: Please note, these photos are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to any other web site without my written permission. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Shortly after Dub's accident I received a package in the mail from his wife Billie. It was this trophy along with a note stating that she thought that Dub would want me to have it. I have kept in a place of honor in my home all these years in memory of one of the greatest people I have ever known: Dub Parker.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

John got it on another thread, but let my try to be a little more specific.

As well as having the Martin and the Yamato 80, you have 2 Quincy Loopers (tell us the serial numbers!) and a whole pile of Quincy Z stuff too!

Post Thanks / Like

The last motor is a Flambeau
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default F B 125

I remember back in the early 70's Melvin Cooper had a Looper in his trailer, this was when he and Dub were a team an ran Konig's. Could this be the same Looper B125. I saw Melvin this past weekend at Jesup GA. but didn't think to ask him. For anybody that does not know Melvin and his son Mel have started back PRO racing after many years in Car racing.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dub Parker

After reading this forum and seeing the trophy won by Dub, I have one of his plaques that I wanted to post as well.

Don

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dub was also a great sportsman. I am proud to have called him a friend. At Alex in 1973 he got a good start in B hydro and I made it around the buoys and came out second chasing Dub down the back straight. I was faster and would catch him in the turns, but he had the inside and kept pushing me out. This went on for the whole race until the final turn. He had been carrying me wider and wider and so in the last turn we entered the turn and Dub was taking me out to the "North 40" as I figured he would, then partway through the turn I headed straight for the exit buoy and cut off more than 100 feet. I saw Dub keep looking for me over his right should, but finally he saw me in front way to the left. He quit turning and headed straight for the finish line. He was gaining quickly as my acceleration was slow at the first half of the course. Dub blew by me only a second or so after I got the checkered flag. At inspection, he jumped out of his boat and plowed through the water to my boat and put out his hand to shake mine. I thought he was going to pull my arm out of its socket the way he was pumping it and grinning from ear to ear. He said it had been a long time since he had a race like that. A great guy, and sportsman. I feel blessed to have gotten to become friends with people like Dub who were famous boat racers long before I started.

I never saw this thread when it first started, so I wanted to add a little more to the history of this great man. There's an awful lot to read about Dub in the issues of Roostertail .

Thread Information